Colour cast issues - can anyone help me edit this image?

<p>hi June Daley .<br>

I would like to made better as I can but the 1st thing to considered THE MODEL has very pink pale skin tone as your shot with available lighting maybe out door shooting right ? the picture I working out w/ cs3 tecnical to use as :<br>

selective color , hue-saturation , history brush, blur surface,<br>

I don't adjust w any number just follow the color you want . which one should remove / remove some . which one should save /or get them back w/history brush . that your skill. hopefuly you will happy which some fun in digital photography . without PS you lose your fun</p>

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I think only Roger so far has zeroed in on the underlying reason why the original colors are off; it's a color profile mismatch issue. What I did was open the original image (second post which is in sRGB; the first posted image is your edit, which was saved in Adobe RGB), then selected Edit -> Assign Profile..., then selected my display color profile in the drop-down, rather than sRGB. Then I selected Edit -> Convert to Profile... -> Destination Space = sRGB. I didn't find any noticeable difference between rendering intents. No other adjustment was made.</p>

<p>Many of the edits so far have missed the blown out flower in the lower right hand corner, or have adjusted the colors so far out of line that new color casts are introduced. A couple edits have taken out too much green in the background, put in too much yellow, or set the white point inappropriately. Whenever editing an image for color accuracy, the beginning question should be, "what did it really look like?" The ending question is, "what would I have wanted it to look like?" But it's tough to get to the latter without having first established the former.</p><div>00TATG-128203584.jpg.bd79f3f4d42c3832740832045038d02a.jpg</div>

<p>By the way, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but you can tell which of us worked from the original image June provided (second post), versus her edited version (first post). This is because her edit took out the white bird droppings on the wood railing in the foreground. You can even spot some of the residual cloning effects in the edit; more careful cloning, or use of the healing brush or patch tool, will make the edit much less noticeable. Here is an example, which is the original with color adjusted per my previous post + scaled 300% + patch tool only.</p><div>00TATh-128207684.jpg.24f65beee1f4955bcbcacd2dc2be7009.jpg</div>

<p>With all the attempts that's been done above, I see mostly that users don't have the adjustments of theire screen the same nor have they the same graphic card and screen type.<br>

Here is my version of it. Let's see, once uploaded, how people see it.</p><div>00TAY1-128255584.thumb.jpg.9719161b7e87464b867af2227f0c577e.jpg</div>

<p>What I did is in adjustment layers, in Selective colours, adjusted in the reds, in the magenta, the yellow.<br />Then a few adjustments in sharpness, a little of glow and smoothness.<br />Hope this helps you.<br>

ps: don't forget that this blonde girl has allreday a rosy complexion that we must take into account and keep just a little of that rosiness to be true.</p>

<p>My interpretation of this issue is that everyone is missing the forest for the trees. The original concept of the photograph is marred.<br>

You have placed an extremely bright, saturated, vivid, hot looking flower in the bottom right of the photograph, which distracts the viewer from what I think was intended to be the subject, which is the lovely woman, and a foreground and background that otherwise are cool and non-interfering.<br>

There are several decent variations shown that help alleviate the color cast in the model's skin, but the larger problem- if you step back and look at it with fresh eyes- is that it should have been shot without the flower. That would have left the greys, greens, blond hair, and flesh colors harmonious, instead of forcing the eye to be repeatedly distracted by the flower.<br>

Just my humble opinion- place your hand over the flower in any of the good variations and imagine it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>After coming back to this thread I can now say for sure that this indeed is the image from hell from a color correction standpoint.</p>

<p>Looking at all the results from others I can say mine is so way off when I thought it was spot on. This image plays tricks on your color perception between orange and magenta. Everyone's attempt has a different color cast.</p>

<p>It's true like Peter Wang indicated the saturation level of the orange flower is sort of the canary in the coal mine when getting the overall color right. My attempt still has too much pinkish magenta in the skin and the orange/red? flower is glowing. Everyone one else nails one part of the image while other areas like the hair looks green and some others look severely desaturated and others have the skin even more magenta just a different hue.</p>

<p>And I'm viewing this thread on a hardware calibrated display in color managed Safari. Even though the white background of this thread looks neutral on my display it still seems to change the perception of a color cast on each posted image. I go to one and it looks correct. Go to the next and it looks better than the previous. Go back to the previous and it looks off. This image would be a good test to show the affects adaptation has on color perception. I mean I gave it another go seeing my attempt still looked too magenta and the flower over saturated and now it looks too yellow orange. I give up.</p>

<p>You could probably use this entire thread to prove color correction is not only subjective but hard to pull off and I'm self taught in photo restoration. See the image on the iMac in my bio pic.</p>

<p>I use ACDSee pro for this kind of problem. It has a colour correction "dropper" that works very quickly. It's kind of the same as PS white or grey dropper, but for some reason works better for me. I find the PS dropper can do the same job but with more time.</p>

<p> </p><div>00TAjW-128323584.thumb.jpg.473e9ff17b38cd7eb394b0a9170db63c.jpg</div>

<p>Hey June, <br>

Here's my take on your photo. I have a 40D myself and I also use Nik software. While I agree that our camera's almost always give a red cast to things-ESPECIALLY SKIN!- this is easily fixable. this took me less than three minutes to do because I now have a work flow and it works about 98% of time and I still have a work around for the rest.<br>

Everyone here has done a great job of pitching in to help and to tell you the truth, between books and this site I have developed my own work flow and now I don't waste time on my software when all I want to do is shoot and print.</p>

<div>00TAlX-128339584.thumb.jpg.e55350c255344127fd9a986e3ecfcf15.jpg</div>

<p>Heck, one more for the bandwagon.<br>

It looks to me like there is a red/blue cross cast on her skin vs. skin shadows.<br>

A bit of selective color, desaturating the teeth and wood, whites of her eyes, added contrast on her hair highlights. And some NIK skin softener to reduce the ruddiness/glare. I would love to see what Patrick would do with this. </p>

<p>Heck, one more for the bandwagon.<br>

It looks to me like there is a red/blue cross cast on her skin vs. skin shadows.<br>

A bit of selective color, desaturating the teeth and wood, whites of her eyes, added contrast on her hair highlights. And some NIK skin softener to reduce the ruddiness/glare. I would love to see what Patrick would do with this. </p><div>00TAn0-128357784.jpg.9eb681ec46eeb95e895c015d9868366e.jpg</div>

Here's my crack at it. I am a bit worried how it might look, as some of the other results are varying wildly. I'm not on a colour calibrated monitor, but find that it produces pretty good colour rendition, so I hope it doesn't look to wild on the calibrated monitors. Before on the left, after on the right.<div>00TAnW-128359584.jpg.ac25eac36dfcadaf7a2a4c4dd4567346.jpg</div>