Which lens is Better than 85mm f/1.4?

edwin_mendoza

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Of course this begs the question - image quality for doing what? But I agree that for me, on DX nothing beats the 85/1.4 as a short tele and portrait lens.<br>

I'm obviously only going to comment on other lenses that I own in my response to you but I want to mention two - one longer and one wider than the 85/1.4 - both of which are absolutely marvellous in my opinion.<br>

180/2.8 and 35/2, both AF-D. I cannot speak highly enough of either of these and find both a joy to use. The latter, especially at its price point, for me is a no-brainer and would be the first lens I would replace if I lost my entire kit.</p>

<p>I often use the 50mm f1.4 AF as a short tele / portrait lens on my D200. As it has the field of view of a 75mm on a DX camera combined with nice bokeh wide open, it performs very nicely when used in this manner. Plus its many times cheaper than the 85mm f1.4 if thats an issue. Of course I would LOVE the 85 1.4 or the 85 1.8 for that matter but for now this does OK<br>

Here is a link to a photo taken by that lens. Nice color, good bokeh, good sharpness - although I have missed the mark slightly and focused on the knee!<br>

<a href="http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/peterm1_bucket/_DSC0785.jpg">http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/peterm1_bucket/_DSC0785.jpg</a></p>

<p>The 85 f/1.4 is a fairly unique and specialized lens. It falls into the "ultra-fast" category. Other lenses that share some of the 85 f/1.4's characteristics (other than the relatively plain 50 f/1.4) are fairly exotic. The now discontinued 28 f/1.8 and the 200 f/2 VR would be 2 of them. </p>

<p>105mm f/2.5. It doesn't have the same speed but performance as almst as good wide open as stopped down, when I tested it every aperture looked the same right up until diffraction kicked in. Very impressive.</p>

<p>The 85mm f/1.4 is a great lens but the corners wide open are poor. It takes stopping down to f/4 to get corner sharpness.</p>

<p>84/1.4 Nikkor, Zeiss 85/1.4, and Canon 85/1.2 were directly compared in some "unbiased" review that showed lenses equal on average, with advantages on one aspect or another in multiple computed and measured graphs results in the review. I hope someone will find that old review, if that matters.</p>

<p>180/2.8 Nikkor comes very close to 85/1.4 quality.</p>

<p>Dave Petley, I'm sorry to heartily disagree but before you give people the wrong idea - none of your choices stand up to the 85mm 1.4 for that magical image quality:</p>

<p>85MM F/1.8 35 70mmF/ 2.8 80 200mmF/ 2.8 50MMF/1.4</p>

<p>Nice lenses, yes but BETTER - no.</p>

<p>The 85/1.4 is one of the finest lenses in the Nikon lineup. The 85/1.8 has slightly better stopped down sharpness but it flares more easily than the 1.4 and is not mechanically as nicely built. The 1.4 has nicer manual focus feel, better bokeh, and is overall an excellent people lens (if not the very best).</p>

<p>Not exactly alike but of very high image quality are the 50/1.4 AF-S, the 35mm f/2 ZF, the 100mm f/2 ZF, the 180/2.8. I haven't used the 200/2 or the 300/2.8 but people who have generally consider them right up there.</p>