Canon 20D and 24-70 f/2.8 lens set-up

sara_hignutt

<p>Hi all, just a quick question... looking to pair up the 20D and the 24-70 f/2.8 lens for portrait work and random outside photography, maybe weddings. Is this a good pairing for these purposes? I tried out a friend's and the combination is heavier than what I'm used to, but I am ok with it if the results are promising. It will be a $1600 investment. I am upgrading from the Rebel XT.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The 20D has kind of slippery autofocus, and since the 24-70mm has been known to have some backfocusing problems (some of them), I would be wary of this combination. I'd recommend a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. I have a 20D and the Tamron, and find it is better than when I put my 16-35mm f2.8L on, focus-wise.</p>

<p>I shoot with a 40D and the 24-70mm and love the added distance that the 1.6X crop gives. Although you are not using this lens to its fullest potential on the crop sensor, it still gives razor sharp images. I also have the 20D as a back up body and have used this combo with little to no difficulties. If you plan to go FF sometime in the future, the i would recommend this combo. If not, then perhaps the 17-55 IS f2.8 is a nice choice.<br>

regards,<br>

mat</p>

<p>>> the 24-70mm has been known to have some backfocusing<<</p>

<p>Mine never had that issue and I am not aware of a known problem with that lens backfocusing.</p>

<p>In any case, I have used mine with 1.6 crop cameras as well as my 5D and the zoom is my most used lens ever. I use that lens at least 80% of the time. It looks great even wide open, excellent contrast, color and it has a pseudo macro that allows you to get closer to your subjects.</p>

<p>Can't ask for a better lens.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>All I can say is that I belong to a professional wedding photographers' forum, and there are 'many' reports of trouble focusing with the 24-70mm. A few on the wedding forum here have also said the same thing. I also know that on my 20D, which does have slippery focusing, my 16-35mm f2.8L does not perform as well, focusing-wise as my Tamron 17-50mm--it back focuses a lot. Later models--30D, 40D, etc., are better focusing anyway. Doesn't mean all 24-70mm lenses have a problem. Doesn't mean yours has one or doesn't have one. Doesn't mean Sara will have the problem. I just report... She should know that 'some' do have a problem. Besides, the 17-50mm gives a better range for a cropped sensor camera than the 28-75mm, for general wedding work, at least.</p>

<p>Sara,<br>

24-70 is not going to be an attractive lens on a 20D for random outside photography because the EFL would be 39-112mm, it is fine for portraits but not wide enough for other things, for a 20D best choice is either 17-55 f/2.8 IS which has ~ 27-88 EFL. Also 20D is somewhat an old body and doesn't have many of the features the newer cameras have, I would consider a 40D with a 17-55 IS for the purpose you mention.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>i have used a 20D with 24-70 for weddings, concerts and portraits for years and it's a stunning combination.<br>

I've recently got a 5DII and now kind of miss the reach that the 20D had with the 24-70<br>

Never had focus issues or any other issue because of the combination of the two</p>

<p>I have the older 28-70 2.8, and I can say that my 20D and that lens worked fine. The focal length with the smaller sensor was a fine combination for weddings. Another lens worth a look would be one of the fixed 50mm lenses, like the Canon 1.8 or 1.4 models. You might find that the extra aperture is useful in relatively dark rooms where flash is not allowed.<br>

Can't say I have any experience of 'slippery' focus, alluded to above. My 20D focuses quicker and more efficiently than my 5D, lots better than my Elan and EOS3, and I doubt I would notice any significant difference with the more modern lines of 30-50D.</p>

<p><strong><em>20D and the 24-70 f/2.8, is this a good pairing for these purposes? </em></strong><br /><strong><em>. for portrait work</em></strong></p>

<p>Yes. Arguably the best Canon <strong><em>zoom lens</em></strong> choice for general and flexible portraiture, based upon FL compass and largest max aperture.</p>

<p>.<strong><em> random outside photography</em></strong><br />Maybe, if one can forfeit the wide. I would prefer, (if I were to sacrifices the wide) the 24 to 105F/4L IS. It gives the same wide more telephoto and IS at the expense of only 1 stop maximum aperture. "outside" implying mostly daytime.</p>

<p><strong><em>. weddings</em></strong><br />Not for me. It is implied the lens would be the main working zoom lens. The forfeit of the wide angle when using this lens on an APS-C body, means that another lens will have to pick up that wide end.<br />38mm (equivalent FoV) is a most inconvenient lens change point when covering a Wedding, especially on the hop.<br />There are many W&P Professionals who use the 24 to 70 as their main lens, perhaps most are using 135 format cameras (Full Frame)? This aspect is a matter of choice. Your choice should be made to suit you, but after considering this particularly important factor.<br />Please read these specific comments, in conjunction with my previous general answer and recommendations here:</p>

<p><a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00T5Y0">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00T5Y0</a></p>

<p>***</p>

<p>On the other issue: 20D's do have an issue with sloppy AF - there are numerous deep and meaningfuls with much detail about how and why, which can uncovered using the search function here.<br />In my case, the slippage / sloppiness is more noticeable when using a wider lens or a zoom at the wide end: both my 24L and 16 to 35MkIIL consistently perform better AF on a 30D and 5D, than on my 20D. I have already mentioned (on the thread above I referenced) that I am <em>not</em> "anti 24 - 70".<br />In my particular case the one I borrow, of itself performs consistently well (on my 5D), but as with my 24L and 16 to 35MkII, I perceive the 24 to 70 has better / more consistent AF on the 30D and 5D, than on my 20D, especially at the wide, though I do not have use for the 24 to 70, that much.<br />I also note an hand-full of reasonable & reliable comments within my direct Professional W&P fraternity concerning focus issues with the 24 to 70F2.8L – these are not on line comments - but at meetings. I note these issues have been addressed with camera / lens calibration at no cost, by Canon. These lenses were purchased new. I guess the "hand-full" constitutes 5% -10% of a small sample group (100ish) high impact users.</p>

<p>In consideration of the value added information given by some high impact users of 20D's, it might be a idea to consider a second had 30D, instead, as previously mentioned, the 30D (or 40D) has other benefits / features also.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>:)<br>

<br>

Yes, Mendel, I have noted your detailed comparison and comments about the 24 70 and 24 105, before.<br>

<br>

My comment about maybe preferring a 24 to 105 as a walk-a-round lens, is more about a lazy lens <strong><em>for me</em></strong> (to fit in with what I have) - I have bouts of thinking about it - and then bouts of dismissing the idea - the turmoil has been there for a couple of years. <br>

<br>

For me it seems, I still cannot bring myself to spend that money on only an F4 lens. . . <br>

<br>

I mentioned the 24 to 105 for consideration because the question was segmented into the three applications of usage - it seems many folk love their 24 to 105, especially as “one answer” a walk-a-round lens.<br>

<br>

WW</p>