Gear choices- Overkill?

brett_chachko

<p>Obviously I don't need this much gear to go away for 1 year.<br>

Anything you would not take and why, substitutions and suggestions welcome.<br>

I'm torn between the RB and Pent6, I know the RB is bigger but I love it. I guess I am leaning a little bit towards the Pent6, but does anyone have some thoughts about why I should take one over the other?<br>

R-D1s, G10 and Holga are small, no problem there.</p>

<p>Epson R-D1s with Voiglander 15mm, 35mm and 50mm<br>

Mamiya RB with sekor 65mm and sekor 127mm<br>

Pentacon 6 with 80mm<br>

Holga<br>

Canon G10<br>

about 85 rolls of film, few SD cards<br>

Tripod<br>

No flashes, no other heavy gear. This is my keeping it simple haha.</p>

<p>Any other suggestions from people who are knowledgeable about long trips away from developing labs are welcome THANK YOU</p>

<p>Here's my suggestion: Nikon D60 and Nikon 16-85mm lens. small, light (although not as light or small as P&S cameras), APS sized sensor (much better than P&S!), great image quality, versatile, not too expensive. There is the expectation of a replacement for the D60 sometime this year but it is only a rumor at this time.</p>

<p>At the very least, I would take two cameras that use the same film and/or lenses, whether 120 or 35. Obviously for weight and size reasons, 35 would be first choice unless ultimate image quality really is that important. 120 would need a proper tripod as well, much more proper than 35. Since you already have a digital rangefinder, I would get a film rangefinder using the same lenses, Leica if I can afford it, Voigtlander or Konica if not. That would make better use of the lenses. I would add a 90 to that setup as well, but if you seldom use longer lenses then maybe you don't feel the need for it. It is very important to have a backup. The most irritating thing is to be on a long trip and have 50 rolls of 120 with no functioning 120 camera and then have to carry couple of heavy lenses for that setup as well with no way of making any use of them. </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the input. I will be going to the south of China to teach English for a year in a very very small rural village in the Hunan province. I will have my own apartment and the area is very safe. I am just worried because from June 27-Aug 14 I will be on the road (Beijing, Xi'an, Sichuan, Yunnan, hopefully Tibet if they will grant permits for travel). So you can understand why I wouldn't want to lug all of that around for 6 weeks. Some of you had mentioned a Mamiya 7, but why should I have to buy a new camera and lenses? I have a fair amount of gear. Unless someone wants to trade their 7 and lenses for my RB ;)????</p>

<p>If you can drop off most of your cameras at your apartment before heading out to shoot, then I fully agree that you should bring everything with you. There are so many great places in China that you will have the chance to discover in the next year that you will never regret carrying all these equipments with you.</p>

<p>You metnioned about this trip "on the road". Try to settle down first, and then visit these wonderful places one at a time. They all shine at different seasons, and you won't be disappointed if you take your time. A year is long and with some planning, you can have some very rewarding experiences.</p>

<p>One more thing, don't forget Xinjiang, a huge province with some very diverse cultures and ethnic groups. Sceneries are also amazing there. I would probably rank Xinjiang the #1 place to visit in China if you love photography.</p>

<p>Ken, good ideas. I think I may suck it up and bring it all. I will regret if a peice of gear breaks and I don't have a replacement.<br>

Xinjiang is a great suggestion. Not only have I heard about its beautiful landscape, but even more about its beatiful women.<br>

Is there a specific season you would recommend over another? How about cities?</p>

<p>Brett, why would you have a digital camera on the list and not a way to archive the snaps other then a few cards?</p>

<p>Ilkka had the most practical response. Mine is, I want a last resort that doesn't need batteries, period always and end of conversation. (My philosophy, not meant as an "end".) If I can't use the Sunny 16 when all else fails, that means I'm a dead duck, worm bait.</p>

<p>Brett, I did go to Xinjiang a few years ago, but unfortunately I followed a guided tour not specifically catered for photography. I had found numerous unbelievable scenic spots but lighting and timing were not right... I think every season has its own magic. The only season which I would totally avoid is winter as it can get 30 below easily.</p>

<p>Personally I love taking landscape pictures, but not quite as enthused about people. Anyway, I may possibly return back to northern Xinjiang where a beautiful national park is located early September this year for foliage. If you are interested in joining me feel free to drop me a note.</p>

<p>Michael, I will have my Macbook Pro to upload the cards into, but I wont bring that along while I travel. I guess I should have specified??? With cards I can delete unwanted photos and upload later. The RB67, Pentacon 6, and Holga are purely mechanical, so I don't think I need to worry about batteries.<br>

Ken, when I get out there I will contact you. I am very interested in getting some great landscape shots and having a pal to shoot with would be great. Do you live in China?</p>