Photographing challenging couples' wedding?

paulie_smith

<p>A friend gave me a call with a problem. He is relatively new to weddings and still a bit unsure of himself. He has a family obligation on this one and can't get out of it.<br>

The couple have difficult features. .

Any advice to give him?</p>

MODERATOR NOTE: Very offensive descriptions about the couple have been edited. Not necessary.

<p>None of us all not perfect looking. They are people that are getting married and deserve to have their pictures taken. The above post could have been written much more tactfully, with that in mind don't shoot the wedding. Hire a pro that wants the work and can make the couple love their shots.

<p>A good photographer can look ar someone's features and can figure out how to photograph them in the most flattering light possible. Narrow faces? Try a broad light. Also consider B&W. But, most important of all - get them a photographer who has a heart and who wants to make them look nice.</p>

<p>I'm a newbie myself, but found in my experience that capturing someone's inner beauty really makes the pictures special. The joy and happiness within...<br>

Not everyone is going to win America's Top Model. A wedding is a celebration, its not exactly a fashion shoot (can be, but its not always). It also doesnt have to been entirely formal poses, but candids filled with the couple interacting with their family and friends. Its a magical moment in their lives and they deserve to have someone capture the essence of them, with an eye on creativity and love for photography.</p>

<p>I don't understand this topic at all. If people want their picture taken, you take their picture. How they look can't be helped. You think "good" photographers just get beautiful people knocking at their door? Not by a long shot. They just don't use those photos in their advetizing.</p>

<p>People who want to be shot are clients. Shoot them as you would any other couple. They're the ones who'll decide what to buy.</p>

<p>Paulie -</p>

<p>Certainly the couple is aware of how they look.</p>

<p>Tell your "friend" to man up and take the photos like he would any other couple and show them to them... They'll decide if they like them or not. Unless the couple specifically asks me to do something or there is something "temporary" like a pimple I don't go there on my own.</p>

<p>Example - I had one couple where the bride was 5 inches taller than the groom. During the formals I tried on my own to make them equal or appear equal. The bride quickly saw what I was doing and told me to stop...they knew that he was shorter than her and wouldn't appreciate the photos any other way. Lesson learned.</p>

<p>If your "friend" can't get over their looks then it's time for him to find another line of work.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Convince them to hire a very good makeup artist? If he doesn't wish to shoot the wedding regardless of the reasons (though I think saying someone is unattractive is a poor excuse and should be grounds for him to no longer be a wedding photographer) he should say so. He needs to get use to turning people way or saying no to jobs. Or simply charge them what he thinks he is worth and if they don't want to pay, tough cookies.<br>

Everyone deserves awesome photography, and it is up to the photographer to make that person look beautiful.</p>

<p>IF this is on the level, the friend should seek out the advice of a good wedding pro in his area. He should bring with him a couple of snapshots. A good experienced pro will be willing to impart advice, and may well have specific examples to show him. Those guys see just about everything.<br>