First "Trash the dress" photoshoot. CC appreciate very much!

missy_kay

<p>Hello all,<br />Here is my first TTD photoshoot from last night. I only had the chance to upload a few pictures from the session but took over 450 images I still need to add. I had some issues with flash lol. Your CC is very much appreciate. Thank you :)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/22044556@N03/sets/72157616894961374/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/22044556@N03/sets/72157616894961374/</a></p>

<p>I think the only "issue" is how you label the session. It is just a day after session and doesn't come with any "trash the dress" qualities people expect when you see the label. Photos good, a few of them her expression looks a little awkward though.</p>

<p>Will there be some trashing of the dress as Steve asks? the 13 images seem more of a modeling gig.<br>

If not, I'm curious what the discussion of the shoot concerned?<br>

If there are some, let's see some of that multi-billion dollar industry in tatters!!</p>

<p>hmm I thought a TTD was where you lay down in your dress and do things you normally wouldn't do- she did that with the flower patch.<br>

What's a day after session?<br>

I have my first wedding in May so I'm trying to improve every flaw before then :) thank you everyone for your comments.</p>

<p>Kay, it is hard to go wrong with such a beautiful subject, however, if I was you, I would figure out what went wrong with your white balance and correct it. If you shot in RAW, then post processing should been able to correct the color difference. </p>

<p>It is one thing to get a few shots wrong and fix them in Lightroom or Camara Raw, however, it is another thing to have an entire wedding not correctly balanced. </p>

<p>Just remember that every time you move to a different location during your wedding in May, you will have to be conscience about the type of light that and how it will effect your photos. If you are shooting outdoors but using a flash as fill, you have two light sources here and two different temperatures. If you are shooting the ceremony in a church, you may have the light coming from the window, overhead tungsten light, maybe a fluorescent spot light or two, and maybe a stain glass to boot. You will have to do a custom white balance or shoot in RAW and fix them in post processing. If you get it right in the camera, it will save you many hours sitting in front of your computer trying to correct hundreds of photos.</p>

<p>If you know how to do a custom white balance, then go to the venue early enough to setup several different white balances from different areas at the venue. Make sure you bring a 5x7 card to reference the different settings and custom white balance locations.</p>

<p>Good luck with the wedding!</p>

<p>They're gorgeous.<br>

It definately looks like TTD shoot to me. I don't think you'd get many brides lying in a muddy daffodil bed on their wedding day - I bet the dress was filthy!<br>

TTD is about doing things you wouldn't on the day, so that would definately count. It all depends on the bride and how far they wanna go.<br>

I though the blue cast might have been an effect you put on the images as it is quite strong! I kinda like it in an arty type of way, ha ha. Hopefully you figure out what went wrong.<br>

Well done!</p>

<p>I still don't think I'd call this a TTD session, based on the subject photos, because you really don't see any evidence of the dress becoming trashed or dirty (even though it did). If she were floating in water, rolling in the surf, running through traffic, climbing a tree, in a greasy factory setting, or somewhere that it's obvious that the dress would not be pristine anymore, then I might call it that. This simply looks more like a day after shoot, and a very good one. That's my take, anyway.</p>

<p>Overall pretty nice but I see some blown hilights and some skin issues that could be fixed in PP. Pretty girl, nice compositions. I think the image with the bride against the brick wall would have been better if her gaze was to the left instead of outside the frame. I can't imagine shooting 450 frames.....you might want to slow down.</p>

<p>To me her skin looks horribly magenta. Not at all pleasant. You also have blown the highlights from the dress.</p>

<p>Remember that when shooting in shade the main color source outdoors is the sky and the sky is generally blue. That will give a blue cast to the dress. That needs to be resolved without losing the color of sky.</p>

<p>Here's a great <a href="http://trashthedress.com/">website</a> to see some fantastic and not so fantastic examples of TTD.</p>

<p>Mary, I would call these a day after or just a bridal shoot. Actually, from the 18 images posted (are there more grungy ones), they look like shots that could've been taken inbetween the ceremony and the reception. However, a TTD is in the eye of the beholder so if your "bride" was having fun trashing her dress and you were having fun capturing her trash her dress then nuff said. I like the blown highlights and the hue shift, more fashion artsy kind of look.</p>

<p>Kay, I think I'd take some of the good advice you learned here and see how you can put it into practice. As for whether you're ready to shoot a wedding, as you probably have gathered from being here awhile, that is up to how well you manage all the different lighting conditions you'll find in a wedding, from bright sunlight, to pitch darkeness. And, having all the right gear. It also has a lot to do with all the wedding photography stuff that has nothing to do with handling a camera, like dealing with people, fulfilling your comittments, addressing client needs, marketing, selling yourself, finding and creating moments to shoot, posing, etc.</p>

<p>I think you're on the right track, and certainly have a flair and creative advantage over many newcomers, but you'll ultimately have to answer that question for yourself.</p>

<p>Your poses are fun and I'm sure she will love your style! I too have serious issues with the color, along with the skin tones. Some shots are washed out, which can be a plus in some situations, but too many have the washed out look.</p>

<p>Monitors play a big part when looking at brightness, contrast, and color. You may wish to look at another brand and use a program like Spyderwire, which does a decent job calibrating monitors. I'm a bit picky with monitors and probably over spent. I think I paid about $1200. I've seen some excellent color come out of Samsungs and they are priced around $400 for a 22 inch.</p>

<p>As far as wondering if you are ready to shoot a wedding my feeling is go for it. Keep your prices low while you gain experience and after you've shot about 15 weddings it will be time to raise your prices.</p>