Mac to Mac(older) connect

<p>Hi folks,<br>

I have a Windows network, and I tried to get an old Powerbook Mac laptop to connect, but it looks like it cannot without some software called DAVE. My newer MAC is on the Windows network<br>

So I thought I might be able to connect the older 9.3 Mac to my newer Mac via some direct way, first I thought a patch netwrok cable ....It doesn't look like it is working. I simply plugged the cable from the one to the others network drops.<br>

I am not sure how how the settings are supposed to be either? But I figured I plug it in, and I get a Icon on the desktop, like other devices...no?<br>

thanks for any help.</p>

<p>Does your older mac have a firewire port? If so, you can connect it to your newer mac and restart holding down the "T" key held down (press when you hear the restart chime). You will then see the firewire logo on the screen and the old computer will show up as an external drive on the newer computer.</p>

<p>Phil, </p>

<p>- What "older model" Apple PowerBook are you working with? What is your "newer" Apple computer?<br>

- What version of Mac OS is the laptop running? What version of Mac OS is the newer one running<br>

- How much RAM does the PowerBook have? </p>

<p>Without that basic information, it is impossible to make any useful suggestions.</p>

<p>Geofrey,<br>

The Powerbook is running 9.22 with 320MB ram (hahaha).<br>

the G4 mirrored face desktop is on OS X and has some fairly recent stuff in it.<br>

Howard, I have multiple systems running and I do have a 8 port switch with 1 drop open.<br>

The OS X desktop is on the network.<br>

I am a bit UNfamilair with Appletolk :-(</p>

<p>You can download Bonjour from the Apple website and install that on the PC(s). That will enable you to see the Mac from the PC's, but probably not the other way around. If you want full connectivity in both directions, you may need to install PC MacLan instead. In any case some configuration will be required which depends on your network and system specifics. The Apple site has good info on how to do it.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>You didn't say what model PowerBook you're running, but it must be a very old one if it doesn't have a FireWire port. FireWire ports have been standard on all Powerbooks since the PowerBook G3 "Pismo" in 2000 (until the MacBook Air and now the MacBook which have USB 2.0 ports only).</p>

<p>You can set it up for Personal FileShare access on the network and then the G4 would be able to see it and share files bidirectionally. You'll need other software to make it visible to a Windows network. With only 320 Mbyte RAM installed, and its age, there's not much else you could do with it and it's likely too old to buy much new for.</p>

<p>It's been so long since I looked at anything Apple not running Mac OS X v10.2.x at least, I don't recall the specifics for such old hardware and OS anymore. Must be my age ... memory is the second thing to go. ;-)</p>

<p> Mike I downloaded and installed Bonjour from Apple.<br>

I didn't see the G3 on the network Windows Network browser. I see my domain, and the systems under it, but no G3.<br>

Any settings I need in AppleTalk?<br>

All I need is to pull some files from the old G3.</p>

<p>Sorry for the lapse in logic - my mistake. Bonjour, installed on the PC, lets the mac see the pc - not the other way around. You may also need to use an network addressing scheme called Samba. This is not point and click, and there are too many variables to give you step by step, but it can be done. I suggest you start here:<br>

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2959</p>

<p>it has 2 ports. I had a jump drive I plugged in, and it said Software needed for "StoreNGO" not available, and couldnt get it from the net.<br>

I have messed with the Appletalk settings, and earlier, I was able to see the G4 from the G3, but not any longer. It connects to the internet when on the main network, but I have been working on this since my OP!<br>

Now I decided to go with one of the suggestions above, is to try and have the G4 and the G3 at least see each other on the windows Domain. As long as 1 system can see the G3, and can get to it, I just need to pull the files.<br>

Godfrey, the model on the back is really not THAT relevent PowerBook G3 its 400mhz. As long as you know the OS it is running and the ports available... its configurable.<br>

Bonjour didnt work, or I didnt know how to work it.<br>

but the crossover cable allowed me to see the G4 on the G3 under Appletalk (still looking for the G3 on the G4?). I got i/o errors 1072, 1069...ooff when I tried to connect, and now rebooted both and now not even visible in AppleTalk.<br>

I rebooted both, and now I have none. It must be some settings on the G4. It has a few locations I had setup, anyone know specifics on what I should have on the Network setup or Appletalk, etc<br>

Now that I know the crossover cable does have some hope, what and where are the settings for having these to machines see each other?</p>

<p>Cross platform networking with older OS's is not for the faint of heart. Local talk, Ethernet, Appletalk, sharing, TCP/IP and other control panels need to be set up, and in the proper order, in a fashion that is dependent upon your network's configuration in the Powerbook and elsewhere. Unless you really need the network and are determined to deal with the learning curve, I suggest you download the Apple USB Mass Storage Support 1.3.5 here<br>

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60394<br>

which should make your jump drive work.</p>

<p>So far tried a CF reader via USB, and a multi card reader. Both need files via web and since I messed with the settings, I know have no internet connection. OOOFFF! what a pain.</p>

<p>I apprecaite all the feedback so far, I am about to read the link you sent for Apple support. I guess it isn't something someone can step me thought...i.e.<br>

Go to Appletalk, see if XYZ is on, then to network this, see if xyz is bla bla bla?<br>

:-)</p>

<p>fyi, the title of this is connecting to windows.</p>

<p>i ALSO have the G4...thats why i posted here, thinking it would be straight forward and simple to connect to MAC's together.</p>

<p>I will read on :-)</p>

<p>Well, I don't really feel comfortable doing this from memory, but since I have no OS9 set up anymore, I'll offer this to try if no one else can give you better instructions, and please take it with a grain of salt:<br>

1. disable Local talk in the chooser.<br>

2. In Apple Talk control panel assign it to connect via the modem or some other NOT ethernet.<br>

3. In TCP/IP control panel assign to connect via Ethernet and set manual IP address to the same as your other computer's, changing the value of the final digit group to a value not in use elsewhere on the network. You may have to set a subnet mask as well.<br>

4. Make sure sharing is enabled in its control panel and that you have a shared folder.<br>

5. Plug ethernet cable to powerbook and router (or crossover cable from powerbook to other Mac).<br>

6. You should be able to get online and see the other Mac, at least, at this stage. If not, try rebooting both.<br>

Hope it works!</p>

<p>ok, i got it back online via the tcp/ip settings and first doing the update for the USB port/media card reading. oh boy, what a way to spend the day.</p>

<p>I will try this first, then your lovely efforts above. <br />:-)</p>