Best Flash for around $100

brian_minson

<p>Guys, am not a big flash user...but time has come for me to use one from time to time. Am not looking to spend more than say in the ball park of $100-120 for a flash for my Canon XTI 400D camera. Used mostly for weddings and portraits.</p>

<p>Am looking at the Bower SFD35C Digital TTL (Guide No. 112'/34m at 50mm) for the Canon E-TTL II. What do you guys think of this lens?</p>

<p>Or what other flash units would you recommend?</p>

<p>-Brian</p>

<p>I've tested a Marumi flash unit which looks identical to that Bower unit. It wouldn't sync properly on a 1Ds mark II, and wouldn't fire at all on a 50D or 500D (Rebel T1i). I have no idea if it would work on a 400D.<br>

It's a cheap flash unit, but I you get what you pay for. I'd pony up for a used 430EX or similar, myself. More than what you want to spend, though.</p>

<p>I've tested a Marumi flash unit which looks identical to that Bower unit. It wouldn't sync properly on a 1Ds mark II, and wouldn't fire at all on a 50D or 500D (Rebel T1i). I have no idea if it would work on a 400D.<br>

It's a cheap flash unit, but I you get what you pay for. I'd pony up for a used 430EX or similar, myself. More than what you want to spend, though.</p>

<p>Pay the extra and get a used 430EX, there are all sorts of good reasons for this:<br>

Curtain synching, you can choose first or second<br>

High speed synch: ideal for outdoor fill, if you do weddings and portraits then this extra fucntion makes this a no-brainer.<br>

The 430EX knows what kind of camera you are are using and takes into account the sensor size, and adjusts its zoom head to compensate even as you zoom the lens.<br>

It is painless to use with E-TTL preflash exposure and you can use the Flash Exposure Lock function, you can also control the flash exposure shift from the camera menu. If you press the stop down button you get flash modelling as well.<br>

I have learned my lesson with flash: Canon have a decent system after years of trailing behind Nikon and Minolta. They have put a lot of work into it and it works well and easily if you stick to EX guns. Anything else really is a false economy.</p>

<p>Why don't you try a Canon Speedlite 299T? They can be had for GBP 30, USD 50.</p>

<p>This vintage flash has tilt and swivel, a good guide number, and works with just about any camera with a hot shoe.</p>

<p>It is old technology in that it uses a built-in light sensor to control the flash intensity. You set the ISO and f number on the flash, an the ISO, F number and shutter time on the camera.</p>

<p>Worth a try.</p>

<p>Henry</p>