First shots

xbow

<p>All, looking for your comments and suggestions. Below is my first shots with my Kodak Master 8x10. The shot is a skyline of Vancouver, BC. The Tmax 100 was developed (N) in Xtol at 1:1. The lens was a Voigtlander Dynar 12 inch (f/6).<br>

Specifically I am looking for comments on how to improve tonality, or any other general suggestions you might have. <br>

For the record, looking at my first large format negative- with a quasi-decent image- was quiet satisfying....I think I am hooked big time. It is difficult to describe the feeling when I pulled the negative out of the rotary processing tube.....</p>

<p>Thanks in advance<br>

John</p><div>00T3vk-124859684.jpg.c7a9e0a7d08209a31ee53e003d51c8de.jpg</div>

<p>It looks like your negative has plenty of information. The rest is up to you in printing to your taste. You might try a yellow 12 for a little contrast boost or an orange filter for more sky separation. XTOL also works very well with 1+2 and 1+3 dilutions, helping refine some zone system processing.<br>

That 8x10 is certainly addictive, as you now know. Have fun with it!</p>

<p>Beautiful! Especially satisfying for a first shot. As I am about to embark on my first 4x5 efforts (got some film holders and film yesterday!) I completely understand the anticipation, and can't wait for the first results. I hope I do as well as you.<br>

One question. It looks like there are three darker bands in that shot? They're most obvious in the rocks on the bottom of the frame. Is it my eyes, or the JPG compression, or development?</p>

<p>David,<br>

Yes, I noticed that too. As I look over the picture and the negative I see things like this and endevour to understand. The darks bands my be my poor selection of levels in post processing the scanned negative. Thats my first theory. My second may be either uneven development or a light leak, and I will take a hard look at the negative to see if either (or both) is the case. Anyway, I imagine all this is part of the technique improvement process!<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>My eyes are not the best (actually "eye") but I think the "bands" are just texture in the sand. Lovely shot, by the way. Also, I am not at all sure more filtration would have helped with those clouds. Maybe, as Jim said, a hefty crank on the contrast for that region is the answer. Even so, very nice whether a first shot or a 500th!<br>

Pardon me if this is too basic, but I remember A Adams writing that he had a yellow filter just about permanently mounted. It only came off when he wanted an orange.</p>

<p>Try using TMax 400 (new version) with Ilford DDX developer.</p>

<p>Also, get a copy of BTZS book, and check out viewcamerastore.com. Fred Newman has a lot of great information and product regarding controlling contrast. After 40 years of shooting B&W, I came across his information, and was astounded. No more contrast control issues. Absolutely great stuff. I wish I knew this information years ago.</p>