jpegs from 5D2

john_bradley2

<p>Pls excuse the base level of this question, but I am just leaving 35mm EOS5 and waiting for delivery of my first digital body - 5D2 and so have not yet used the Canon software that comes with it.<br>

I need to produce two file sizes of each photo - high res jpegs (30-50mb) physical size should not be below 300mm wide at 300dpi + low res jpeg (no more than 1mb) at 72dpi. Can I do this with just the software that comes with the camera or do I need other software, or downloads?<br>

From your forums I understand that CS4 will handle it, but at the moment I am not intending to manipulate images (I am sure this will change in the future) and am stretched financially with the 5D2 and laptop costs, let alone CS4. Any suggestions?<br>

Thanks<br>

John</p>

<p>The Canon Digital Professional Software that comes with the camera is top notch when it comes to work flow. I had the 20D for the longest time and just used CS2 for everything. Then I someone told me how good the free software that came with he camera was. It will not do touch ups but is great for batch processing. Shoot in RAW and then convert to JPG using the provided software. This will give you the best of both worlds. I shoot RAW plus Small JPG so that I can preview the shots quickly and sort them. I then do the editing (White Ballance, color adjustment, etc.) with THE Canon software. I end by saving it in the format or formats I want(batch processing). I save my high res stuff in TIFF format and email quality in JPG under 1mb. Canon's web site even has a tutorial on how to use it. Plus you get free upgrades. </p>

<p>John, try the Canon software first. It will do all you stated you want to do. Then, when that becomes limitiing, check out Adobe Lightroom. It is less expensive than CS4, but will probably do about 80-90% of what you will want to do. Perhaps more. From what I have read, DPP is slow, but if you are only working on a few images at a time, that most likely is not a problem. If you are shooting weddings or events with a large number of images, then something like LR may be your bes choice.</p>

<p>Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p>DPP is an improvement over the in-camera conversion from raw to jpeg, but it won't "change" your pictures very much. If you need to lighten the shadows, or darken the hightlights, or add contrast to the midtones, consider Photoshop Elements. For about $90 it does nearly everything that an average person could figure out how to do in CS4 during his first two years with that product.</p>

<p>Also, buy a Scott Kelby book for whatever Adobe product you use. The Adobe help often tell you what you do, rather than what you do.</p>