Repair of ME-F

thermionicist

<p>Hello, <br>

Does anyone know where I can have my ME-F repaired? The autofocus no longer works properly, although the focus assist does work fine. <br>

Before anyone comments, yes I know there are far better autofocus cameras, yes I know the ME-F is sort of a freak camera, and yes I know it isn't worth much in the used market. That's not the point. I never really enjoyed the camera's autofocus and seldom ever used the cumbersome autofocus lens. But my ME-F is part of my rather extensive collection and I'd like to have it working perfectly. (The rest of my collection includes: K1000, K2, KM, KX, LX + every viewfinder option, ME, ME Super, ME-F, MG, MV1, MX, A3000, ProgramPlus, SuperProgram, twenty lenses excluding 50mm primes, databacks, winders, accessories, Pentax-branded filters, and several Pentax flashes.) <br>

Any help would be very appreciated!</p>

<p>Your local dealer should be able to point you to a good repair facility/tech that is nearby. There is a guy on Ebay that frequents this and other Pentax boards who has a good reputation. I can't remember his name. someone else will chime in with it, I'm sure.</p>

<p>mel</p>

<p>Hi Adam, </p>

<p>That makes me smile! I bought the K1000 new in 1977, then decided after a year of training to go pro. This led to buying the K2. Next, I decided I wanted a good "casual shooter" and bought the ME, and at the same time added the MX. Later, when the ME Super came out I bought three to use as my everyday workhorses. One was stole, I still have two. In 1981, I bought two LX with lots of goodies as an upgrade from the K2 and MX.<br>

Because I enjoyed the ME Super so much I was one of the first to buy the ME-F, but it was a sort-of disappointment. Its AF is not that great. <br>

Later, I wanted another camera with TTL flash, but for more casual or for action work so I bought the SuperProgram. When one of my oldest friends retired many years ago, I bought his KM and KX -- and use them. This made me aware I almost had a complete collection of M and A series cameras, so I found the MG and MV1 from KEH camera and the ProgramPlus just recently on eBay. I made sure each was in excellent shape. <br>

Of all of them I actually enjoy the K1000 the most because its uncluttered viewfinder lets me concentrate on composition. I seldom ever use depth-of-field preview or self timers, even on my other cameras, so the K1000's lack of features doesn't bother me. But over the years, the LX and MX have gotten the most use. </p>

<p>Hi Leo, <br>

Yes, Eric Hendrickson! I should have thought of him sooner! He repaired my KM (dead meter cell) and did a perfct job! Plus, he's a great guy and fun to deal with! </p>

<p>Hi Andrew, <br>

Well, in case you're unfamiliar with the ME-F it has two "arrows" and a center symbol in the viewfinder that indicate which direction you need to focus the lens, then the center symbol lights to confirm accurate focus. This works OK, but the AF lens simply keeps moving to infinity rergardless and keeps whirring its motor, so I do indeed suspect the lens. </p>

<p>Have you tried the list of repair places on the Pentax website? I clicked around in there once and found a listing. If KEH has got a place, I'd consider that; on the basis of their used equipment sales, I'd say they've got people. Near as I can tell, camera repair ends up being kind of a "regional" business; it'll take some territory to successfully support a store. </p>