X power Differences between FX and DX format

Saadsalem

<p>FX and DX I believe are Nikon designations. Nikon has a 1.5 <strong>crop</strong> factor. So you'd multiply your focal length time 1.5 to find your relevant field of view, in this case it would make it <strong>like</strong> a 300mm lens.</p>

<p>It's all marketting ploy in my opinion. The sensor on an APS sized camera (Canon, Nikon, or otherwise) is smaller than full frame (the size of a normal 35mm negative). But since you print both images at the same size, 4x6 for example, the APS camera makes things seam blown up or more telephoto. You'd get the same effect by cropping images from your full frame camera to the same field of view as the APS camera gives, then printing at the same size.</p>

<p>To say that a lesn is an 11x lens you need a starting point. A 10-110 lens woud be 11x (I don't think an acutal 10-110 really exists I was just using easy numbers). An 18-200 would be close to an 11.5x lens. But then when you have a lens with that big of a range how good is the image quality?</p>

<p>-- "if 200mm telephoto is 11.5X"</p>

<p>A 200mm lens isn't a 11.5x ... a 18-200mm zoom lens has a ratio between longest and shortest focal length (200mm / 18mm) of about 11x. (Note, that this relation does not change regardless on which camera this lens would be used)</p>

<p>A 200mm lens might be brought into relation with the "standard" focal length on a certain camera ...<br>

(about 50mm on 135-film cameras (aka FX) and about 30mm on crop-1.5/1.6 cameras) ... so on a fullframe/FX camera this would bring things 4 times nearer (200/50) and on a crop camera/DX it would bring things 6.5 times nearer (200/30)</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2113657">Elliot Bernstein</a><br>

thank you for the reply,I know that,but because the DX is smaller than the FX,it appers as if it got more zoom ,ie more X power in the DX,what I want to know,if it is 11.5 X on the DX,how much exactly it will be in the FX ?</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3898900">Dan Ferrel</a><br>

thank you so much for the reply,I just wanted to know how much the X power of a 200mm lens on a FX format sensor,and you are right,a 200mm lens because of the 1.5 factor it will appear as if you were using 300mm lens,here I ask again,300 mm on a FX sensor who much X will be,thank you again,</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2116905">Rainer T</a><br>

thank you so much for the reply,<br>

it is to be exact as sigmas stated in their litreture,11.1 zoom power,and I agree with you about your figuer 4 times nearer (200/50),on a FX sensor,I just want to be sure on a sold basis that is every 50mm increase on zoom lens is a one X increase on the FX sensor,thank you again.</p>

<p>OK Saad, I think your asking how powerful a lens is in general. You want to know if a lens is long enough. http://www.fredparker.com/vislize.htm this website gives you an idea of what you'll see when looking through a certain focal lenght lens. It gives you something to visualize what "300mm" would be as well as others. On an APS camera, simply convert (multiply the focal length times 1.5 for Nikon and 1.6 for Canon) and then look that up on the chart.</p>

<p>The X that some manufacturers state is confusing. On a camera that you can't change the lens on, knowing the X factor is important since your stuck with what it has. A camera that has a 3X lens isn't going to zoom in nearly as far as a 5X lens. This can all be relavent as most point and shoot cams start at nearly the same focal length, so comparing a 3X against a 5X is easier. But with SLR zoom lenses the starting focal legth is just as important as the final focal length. Canon makes a 600mm lens. It's a 1X lens, because it doesn't zoom, it's a fixed focal length. It shows the angle of view of your middle fingers last joint to the finger tip when your hands at arms length; or <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=154&modelid=7320#ModelTechSpecsAct">4° 10'</a> . But a 500mm lens has an angle of view of 5°. At these lengths 50mm isn't a huge jump.</p>

<p>Let me ask you this. What do you plan to shoot? That would tell someone more about what lens to suggest to you than angles of view or zoom powers. 18mm to 300mm covers most peoples shooting needs, but some want longer and others want wider. Is there something specific you think you'd need 200mm for?</p>

<p>thank you so much Dan,indeed twice,<br>

it is my English I think that is too bad,<br>

No I do not have something specif to shoot,I just want to know the X power of say 200mmm or the 300mm zoom lens in my D3 Nikon body,<br>

when I use the 200mm on the D300 I know for sure it is very close to 11X,but I do not know how much it is on the D3.for certain.<br>

I have done some calculation on the photo size produced by the same lens on the two bodies ,and have estimated it about 4X. I want just a sold answer from the pro.<br>

my best.</p>

<p>Well, honestly the only way you will really really know is when you click a lens onto the camera and look through the viewfinder. You might look into seeing if you can rent a lens if your really interested. I don't rent lenses yet so can't tell you where to find renters.</p>

<p >Dear Saad</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I thing Rainer T was very closed form what you want to know.</p>

<p >Anyhow, I will try to give you the answer in my very closed English you have. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Sigma put the number 11.1X as a magnification ratio ( the ratio of 200/18 ) and this is not a magnification factor. Magnification factor of the lens is something more different to be calculated, because it depend on film ( or sensor ) format, focal length and the distance between lens and film.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >To make this factor ( Magnification ) more simple and sensible for any photographers, a standard lens 50mm ( for 35mm film format ) was used as reference one. In this case we can say that the image of any target ( on the film ) will be two time bigger if it was shot by 100mm and form the same distance. This magnification was called as 2X.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Back to your question, you have to forget the number given by sigma ( 11.1X ) and think about the lens as follow. </p>

<p >Since your camera is a full format ( sensor size some thing about 24mm X 36mm ), so putting the zoom on 200mm will give you 4X in relative to 50mm and nothing more. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I hope I have wrote in a clear English with a minimum mistakes.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >My best regards. </p>

<p>thank you so much Museeb,<br>

this already told by Mr Rainer T,and as I told him,Iam going to tell you the same,<br>

I just want to be sure on a sold basis that is every 50mm increase on zoom lens is a one X increase on the FX sensor,<br>

and adds here,how much the stranded X,and who have defined it ?<br>

accept my appreciation.</p>