EOS 60D with HD video?

angel_bocanegra

<p>They could, but the 50D has been on the market for less than 7 months so not too likely any time soon. Plus, you have HD video in 2 models already--5DII and the new Rebel--so plenty of choices. Besides I wonder how many in the target market for the XXD series would upgrade just for HD video? I know I don't give a damn about HD video or LiveView for that matter. I hate watching home movies. Hurl! I just wanna take pictures. I wouldn't mind ECF and shiftable DEP mode in a 60D. Might even throw down some plastic for those features.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>The EOS 60D will probably come the end of this year, it seems like the XXD series are in a one year cycle now. </p>

<p>I am not so sure about the video, althought it will be nothing difficult for them to add it, they have it already in the rebel and 5d cams. The only thing you can do is wait, you never know . . . I expect them to improve the AF and ISO performance . . . althought it will may be affect the sells of the 5D...</p>

<p>I also don't care about the liveview and video . . I got it on my 450D and I never use it . . if you shoot alot of macro it may be usefull ofcourse. </p>

<p>I really wouldn't be surprised if a video-capable 55D or 60D is launched pretty soon to co-exist with the current 50D. All the pieces are there and Canon basically only need to enable the software. One question is what the fps rate will be at 1080p: 20 or 30. Whatever decision they make is probably all about market strategy.</p>

<p>I have a 5D MKII. I purchased it to take still images not for the video function. Video is another art form as far as I am concerned and I haven't matered taking still images yet.<br>

Also, you need a new set of software to edit the video, got to be really interested to invest in that and invest in time to climb the learning curve. Why do that when it costs so much to keep what you have up to date.<br>

There are uses for the video I am sure but as far as I am concerned it is a niche market.<br>

I do use the live view and find that very useful for closeup work and portrait.<br>

Roy</p>

<p>I'm of the opinion that a DSLR should remain a DSLR, a video camera should stay a video camera... next thing we know they are going to make the 70D that doubles as a cell phone! They should use the R&D money to develop better photographic technology (inc. lenses) instead.</p>

<p>the avchd video of the 5dmkII and rebel ti rivals that of camcorders of the same format with 3ccd or cmos sensors. The resolution is the same although 5dmkII video only has 30p recoding and rebel ti has 1920x1080@30p and 1280x720@30p(which no one cal tell the diff between 720p and 1080p on any current lcd or plasma tv). Some camcorders offer 24p which is awesome but 30p is good enough and even better for youtube upload and with the ability to use all my prime L lenses(all my ef-s and ef lenses) makes me wanna dream about shooting video with a 60d and having it look like cine film look quility with the DOP of my lenses. That is why I do care about the video, I am sure canon knows there are many people out there like me that feel passionate about video editing and photography as well. "I'm of the opinion that a DSLR should remain a DSLR, a video camera should stay a video camera" is an old statement that was true for consumer cameras that shoot video too or vice versa, but the 5dmkII and rebel t1i are a whole diff league, believe me. Just check youtube for videos done with 5dmkII and you'll see that video quality rivals that of 3000$+ prosumer cams. <br /> Only draw back for me is the 12min limit per shoot.</p>

<p>You should start seeing the new 60D in stores in fall '09. My understanding is they are going with a new processor, sensor type and will include full HD video 1980X1080@ 24/30fps. Another issue was shooting speed and I think you'll find that it is closer to 7 fps. </p>

<p> Many 40d users would upgrade to a 60d with HD, canon will have done the research. People don't like change but the fact is there are some things that are great to capture on film. 50d purchasers may be a little puzzuled if it came out in the fall.</p>

<p>After shooting a baseball game with a friends D300 Nikon I would be very happy to have the next iteration of this series at least match its performance in frames per second, boosted frames per second with the add-on vertical grip, better-faster autofocus and even cleaner high ISO performance.<br>

Having used 1 series film cameras I found a great alternative was the EOS 3 with Eye Controlled focus. For me it worked and I used two of them for events in poorly lit gyms as it helped with more keepers per roll.<br>

Dump the dummies modes on these bodies completely. Make mirror lockup a simple lever or switch. And how about CANON comes out with lens adapters for Nikon, Leica and Contax as well as older FD lenses? They would have the quality control and would help those who still have particular lenses that have proven excellent through the years. I love the 105 f/1.8 Nikkor I have as well as the older bellows mount 100mm f/4 Canon macro. Would be great to have Canon quality control on the adapters allow me to use them with the newer digital bodies.</p>

<p>"the avchd video of the 5dmkII and rebel ti rivals that of camcorders of the same format with 3ccd or cmos sensors.<br>

A single bayer sensor cannot compete with a 3x sensor set up for colour accuracy. Sorry.<br>

There are only one or to prosumer models that use AVCHD, most still use AVI (as on digital tape) or MPEG2 based codecs.<br>

<br /> "Only draw back for me is the 12min limit per shoot."<br>

Fair enough, the drawbacks for me are that, the lack of audio level control, audio monitoring, the lack of motorised lens movement control, the lack of on the fly manual exposure adjustment.<br>

It is a great DSLR with a useful added feature. Shallow DoF or not, it is not a great video camera.<br>

The whole DoF thing is to give a film like aesthetic, which folk seem to crave, cool.<br>

Crews shooting on film tend to have....<br>

Professional sound recordists and a range of high quality microphones<br>

A powerful lighting rig with big prespective for a natural look<br>

decent on screen talent<br>

a producer with a plan<br>

etc etc etc.<br>

In my experience people with z1s don't usually have that, I can't image the 5D user having it either...<br>

I see the video function as a handy photojournalism tool. And thats it.</p>

<p>I see the video function as a solid competitor to other comsumer cams for the hobbyist and amateur videographers. Maybe 1/100 people that do videography with 5d and consumer grade video cams are actually color analyst, a regu;laar joe blow cant tell the diff between 3ccd cams and video from 5d. So sorry, I believe that for the average person, a 5d is competition for 3ccd mini dv cams, it is not competition however for the 10k+$ cams the real pros use. a 5d is for the rich tech savy consumer, real pros can take pics with poloroids if they really wanted too.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>The Canon Rumors Web site (which photographybay.com and dpreview.com watch closely) says the 60D should be out in the fall (as apparently the xxD line is now officially in annual upgrade cycles), will have 8 fps, a new battery, weather sealing, the debut of the new DIGIC V processor, indeed have HD video, and bump up the focusing points to 13 (from current 9 in the 30/40/50Ds). Furthermore, there are whispers Canon might even change the model name to 7D sted of 60D in response to Canon's perceived concern that consumers are confused by the Canon and Nikon mid-range body nomenclature, as both sport "D" and double digit numerals in their names. The body will not grow in max. MP from the 50D (15.1) and most likely will remain a 1.6 crop sensor.</p>

<p>To see the Canon rumors blog site, <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/01/canon-60d-7d-cr2/">click on this link</a> .<br>

To see photographybay's pickup of the info, <a href="http://www.photographybay.com/2009/02/03/canon-60d-7d-rumors/">click on this link</a> .<br>

To see how dpreview.com is watching these rumors, <a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=31569405">click on this link</a> .</p>

• 3 months later...