D100 or D70s

ted_raper1

<p>If you had to pick between these two as a cheap and occasional backup, which would you choose? I know the differences - D100, better build, better viewfinder,no consumer modes. D70s, newer, better autofocus. Both 6MP, so even there. I guess it boils down to a single question - get an older more professional model, or a newer consumer one?</p>

<p>D70 batteries seems to last forever. D200 batteries run out much faster.<br>

If you use newer CLS flashes, take D70 or D200 over D100. D70 has the new iTTL/CLS flash system built-in. (except the CLS/FP that perhaps is not that important with electronic gate shutter present). D200 does have CLS/FP but does not have electronic gate shutter, if that matters ? Seems that you cannot have them all in a single camera...</p>

<p>I have a D200 which is my main camera, and a D80 as main backup. What I'm looking for is something I can throw in the trunk of my car, or in my backpack. I think I can make the question more specific: I love the metering system on the D200, less so on the D80, so all else aside, which of the two has a better metering system? I'll probably be using matrix most of the time and aperture priority or manual. The D200 is accurate, while the D80 leans towards overexposure and blown out highlights. I'm wondering if the D70s would have the same problem; I suspect the D100 wouldn't.</p>

<p>D100 wasn't hard on batteries. In fact the one I had seemed to go about as long as my D300 does. One reason I passed up the D200 was because the battery life wasn't as long as the D100.<br>

Frankly, for backup I would go with the D40. Thats what I did and I love it.</p>

<p>I have a D100 since 2002. I don't think its built is any better than the D70/D70s'. Its viewfinder may be slightly better than the D70's but both are poor in today's standards, although it doesn't bother me much.</p>

<p>I would go for the D70 or better yet the D70s to avoid any BGOLD issue because it has newer technology by 2 years. In particular, if you use flash, the D70/D70s is iTTL compatible while the D100 is only D-TTL.</p>

<p>I think the D70/D70s is a better choice.<br>

Pro D70<br>

- Excellent battery performance (though the D100 is not bad)<br>

- Can control SB600/SB800 wirelessly (most likely SB900 too)<br>

- Very good fine detail, with a weak AA filter. AA on D100 is a bit too strong<br>

Con D70:<br>

- shutter release button less sensitive and more prone to shaking than the D100 (not a big problem anyway)<br>

- Dark viewfinder. Noticeably worse than the D100.<br>

As you see, the D70 cons are mostly ergonomics/handling issues. IQ and feature wise the D70 is better.</p>

<p>I guess I would wonder as to back up to what? Why do you even need a backup? But at any rate I would just not buy either of the old camera's. The thing about the D200 is the BestBuy.com price of about $600.00 is great but the used price for them at KEH.com is closer to $800.00. So if you want to consider one of those then new is the way to go. </p>