Lightroom 2 newbie problem

<p>I am just getting started w/ LR2 and did some developing of pics from my initial import. My problem is that now the program is telling me it cannot locate the files...very frustrating 'cause I spent a couple of hours cropping, etc. There is a ? mark next to the folder in the Folder pane.<br>

I have since learned better how LR works and how to import folders and likely won't make this mistake again. But I'd like to not lose the work I've already done. Is there a way to find out where these edited images might be on my drive (if they are there at all). I have re-imported the original image files into a seperate folder.<br>

Also, when you 'develop' a file in LR does it create a new image? i.e. if I opened an image directly with PS would the developed image open or the original file?<br>

Thanks,<br>

Joe</p>

<p>You must have moved the files out in the OS. Now you have to point LR to where the missing files are. Right click on the folder at issue and choose "update folder location." Reunite the folder with the files and all will be back to normal. You must know where they are if you've already reimported them. Remove the ones you reimported and connect the existing folders with the files instead.<br /> If you renamed the files outside of LR it's considerably more complicated to get back to where you were before.<br>

<br /> You can move move and rename files from within LR. If you do it from outside LR, there will be synchronization issues.<br /> <br /> Maybe when you said <em>develop </em> you meant <em>export</em> . Develop just means you're altering color, tone, etc. This doesn't make a new file. <em>Exporting </em> creates a new file in the format, size, and location on disk of your choosing. The original remains unaltered on disk. The changes you make to images are simply kept track of in the LR database.</p>

<p>I'm still learning, too. But one thing I can tell you: do not modify your folders anymore from outside of lightroom. ANY changes you make to your folders or folders structure, do them from within LR. Actually folders will slowly become less and less important as you start to use collections (more flexible and don't mess with the physical folder structure).<br>

I too lost [may be?] some editing of images. Sometimes I touch the wrong key or shortcut and all of the sudden I'm in a completely new/wrong environment and I don't know how to go back. I wish there was a "go to previous screen/status" that would override anything else from anywhere. ctrl-z doesn't do it.<br>

As for "Also, when you 'develop' a file in LR does it create a new image?", no, LR does not create a new file, just a new set of instructions to be applied to the file. If you want to forever-preserve your edited image I suggest you export it either in a new format or in the original format, but get it out of there for good, don't even let your current catalog see it! or you will eventually "bump into" the same image that you thought was "final" and now you end up editing it again and changing what you wanted to be your finished product.<br>

By the way, this process is costless because you still have your original (raw or whatever) file wherever it was stored originally. Unless of course you physically over-rode the original file, but LR will make sure you really want to do that.<br>

I can't help you about PS, since I don't use it.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You mean you imported them and then renamed them? There is no rename on import. You can make copies at time of import, but renaming would have to be a separate step after that.If you then renamed them, their names have changed on the hard drive, and it would be difficult to get your old adjustment transferred over. Not impossible, but probably difficult. Depends on how many files and how they were named before.<br /> In any case, basic workflow<br /> <br /> 1. Dump cards to HD<br>

2. Weed out rejects<br>

3. Put files where you want them to stay on HD, or you can move files around in LR, which also moves them on the HD<br>

4. Rename in OS using renaming software, or wait to do it using LR<br>

5. Import to LR using "add w/o moving"<br>

6. Further weed out in LR if necessary, add metadata, adjust tone and color<br>

7. Be done at that point, and export for web, email, print as needed, or export to tiff and further adjust tone and color in PS<br>

8. If exporting tif, maintain same name as original<br /> <br /> LR does lessen the need for folder organization in the OS, but you should still be very meticulous about how your files are orgnanized and named on the HD. This doesn't mean you need tons of folders, but you should have a plan and a purpose for how things are organized, and be vigilant in keeping things organized. Do not rely solely on LR's collections, etc. This is a bad way to work.</p>

<p>"Is there a way to find out where these edited images might be on my drive (if they are there at all). I have re-imported the original image files into a seperate folder."</p>

<p>There are no edited images, only the history of the edits in the database linked to the name and location of the original. When the name or location is changed outside of LR, you have to tell LR where they are. Clicking on the "?" will bring up a dialogue for doing so. </p>

<p>"I renamed the files when I reimported them. Am I totally screwed?"</p>

<p>Your edit data in the database is associated with the names and locations they had at the time of the edit. Try to reconstruct that.</p>

<p>There is a rename upon import function. That is the only way I do it now. I use the import function from the Library module to import the images from the memory card to my HD in the folder I choose, rename according to my DAM (Digital Asset Management) naming convention, and import them into the Lightroom catalog. You can even add some basic keywording as part of the import process if all the images are from the same shooting session (I add copyright info as a default). Easy and in one step. Once in Lightroom I do the initial review and discarding. <br>

Joel</p>

<p>Sorry, I should have said that if you don't use the add w/o moving you can rename on import. Making copies and/or moving on import can be very confusing for people new to the software and to a digital photo workflow though, and I wouldn't recommend working that way if you're still trying to get a grasp on workflow. Having command of your files and folders in the OS should be the foundation for file management. Relying on software can create a lot of confusion.</p>