From D700 back to D200...ouch

photo5

<p>Well folks I'm downgrading my camera from the D700 to the D200 that I just got cheap from Best Buy. It's quite a shock! First thing I notice is, wow, the D200 sure feels great in my hand, and lighter and thinner. Then I look through the viewfinder, oh no! The D200 viewfinder is like looking through a tunnel compared to the D700. I don't think I'll want to shoot much manual focus lenses with this camera. The rear LCD panel is smaller and less sharp. The shutter click on the D200 is really soft and the mirror flip is so light, I can get used to it. Yes, the D700 is going on the auction block. As gorgeous as the images are, I'm going to wait it out with the D200 for a year or two until things catch up a bit. Strangely enough, I was more satisfied overall with the images from my D300 than I was from the D700, despite the total lack of noise on the D700 up to 1600 or so. The D200 is horrible in comparison at ISO 1600, but I'll live. It's still a great camera and I know it will serve me well for the next year or two. Unless the D300 comes down to $999, and at that price, I'll jump on it!! Not many people downgrade on this forum, it's always up up and up! I need to pay some bills, get debt free and all that. I learned a ton shooting the D700, and the best part is, I can sell it for about $250 less than I paid five months ago.</p>

<p>I feel a bit sory for you, altough each of these camera's are very good: did you also sell your D300? I wanted to upgrade my D80 this year, but I'm waiting a while too. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon comes up with a D400 this year ;)</p>

<p>Dave,</p>

<p>I'd fight for your right to downgrade from D700 to D200. However, I'd also fight for my right to say I think you're nuts.....</p>

<p> Thank goodness we live in a relatively free world were your are free to do as you please and I'm free to say what I please.... :-) best Wishes with the D200, it takes photos just fine :-)</p>

<p>Dave, sincere condolences, hope you catch up soon.... never had a D200 but people were very happy with it (of course people are probably happy with a BMW before going to a Ferrari).... I am guessing it won't matter much for 80 to 90% of pictures or so.... Hope the economy picks up before a D900 comes out.....</p>

<p>I have a D200 and I find it produces good images with quality lenses. I have tried the D300 but for now I didn't think the price differential of an upgrade was worth it. <br>

I'm waiting for the D400 then I can decide wheter to get a D300 for lower than price or get the D400(if it comes out).</p>

<p><em>Unless the D300 comes down to $999.</em> There are always bargains to be had on D300s on eBay if you have some patience and bidding savvy.</p>

<p><em>The D200 is horrible in comparison at ISO 1600</em> - Actually, ISO 1600 after post processing is surprisingly good. You just have to have the right software.</p>

<p>It is a good idea to get your bills paid off. Enjoy your new camera!</p>

<p>I "upgraded" from a D200 to a D700. The D200 was my first DSLR and I recall being amazed with it and the 18-135m kit lens. I still am. I used a F2 for years, sold it and got a Coolpix 950 (like $800). The D200 is now on "permanent loan" to my brother and he is amazed too. The D200 will definately stand the "digital" test of time, which seems to be about 2 years, but the build quality will last much longer. People complain about high ISO noise but crap, I used to shoot with Kodachrome 25 and 64 all of the time. Why complain about a little noise at 800? Did they even make 800 speed film 25 years ago?</p>

<p>I sometimes think we (meaning me) get a little too gadget happy these days. I went nuts with lens purchases a couple of weeks ago. I attribute my recent NAS affliction to vicodin, foot surgery, and boredom. The one jewel I obtained is a 45mm P from a fellow in Japan. OMG, the out of focus highlights are perfect. Perfect! If I got rid of the litany of optics I have recently acquired, that is one I would keep. I sort of wish my bro would send the D200 back so I could fire a few shots with this lens, but I will get home soon enough. Rockwell goes on about how it is a collectors item with iffy optics, too expensive, not sharp, get the 50mm 1.8 instead. I strongly disagree and my fifty is for sale. It just might be the finest lens I have ever used, realizing, of course, a photographer could take fine pics with a $80 point-and-shoot. I took a few shots in a very dark room at ISO 3200 and 6400 with it, and all I can say is wow. The current technology with the D700 is simply amazing, especially in low light. Now if I could only walk around and explore the new 45mm for a bit. I sure wish Nikon would make a 85mm version of the Tessar.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your words of support. I know I may end up buying another D700 next year (or if the D300 has a blow-out sale for $999), but first I want to be debt free by mid June, and selling the D700 will help me get there. I just bought a new car and those payments are weighing me down a bit, and I don't want to sell my two Rollie TLR cameras (they would only net about $450 for the pair anyway). I was pretty happy with the quality from my D80, except for the funky metering and blown highlights. The D200 is a good camera and has good image quality. I need to just be happy with it for a while until I can get out of debt. Then when I have the money in the bank, I'll pay cash for a new Nikon. It's easy to get caught up in NAS, and I am guilty as anyone. I'd keep the D700 if I were shooting paying jobs, but I'm not and not planning to. I did shoot one $50 portrait shoot last summer, but I don't think that's enough to justify keeping a $2250 camera. I'll see what Nikon comes up with in the next generation of cameras. Who knows, maybe the next one will be "the keeper".</p>

<p>Elliot: What noise reduce software do you use?</p>

<p>Dave: welcome aboard. I myself also purchases d200 recently. To be honest, I thought I would stay with this camera for 2-3 years before moving toward FX body. But NAS got caught of me and now I am thinking of purchasing D300. Your story has allieviate some of the NAS symptoms that I've been going thru. Hopefully I don't goto adorama or b&h to look at d300 in the next few hours.</p>

<p>Kaska, well the D300 is a super camera, it has a very different look to the images compared to the D200. However, if you currently have the D200 and are satisfied with it, I'd hold off. One thing I really hope that Nikon does with the next gen is make the Live View mode able to take a photo without dropping the mirror. That and I hope the successor to the D700 has a 100 percent viewfinder. That was the only big drawback for me going from the D300 to the D700. Other than that, the image quality from the D700 is gorgeous.</p>

<p>dave, thanks for sharing. your story is humbling and poignant for its honesty, but also a reminder that NAS and "upgrade madness" sometimes get in the way of pragmatism and economic reality. bottom line seems to be that IQ is still good enough to make you happy. all in all, a good lesson for those considering d200/d300/d700 who dont really need all the extra features.</p>

<p>This is the fault of marketing and companies exploiting the newest technology. They have made everyone believe that $2000+ cameras are for consumers. Everyone can now have these new cameras - for a price. The D700 is a professional camera. If you get paid to take pictures, it is a perfect tool and a great investment. If you are doing it for fun you don't absolutely need to spend that kind of money. Even a D300 is a pro tool even if it is on the borderline. This is not to say that Dave doesn't need a pro camera. I'm only saying that great marketing has claimed to put professional tools in everyone's hands - but folks - it ain't cheap! I costs a lot of money. Paying your bills and your mortgage is more of a priority.<br>

Yes, of course the D700 is a much better camera than the D200, but lots of pros were using D200's before there was a D300 or D700. Put it into perspective.<br>

For myself, I chose to shoot Canon digital until the D300 came along. I felt that the D200 was getting close but not enough for what I was getting from my other gear. Now I use D700's and D300 cameras. I am very satisfied and will probably not do any upgrades until all of my cameras are worn out, or Nikon makes a camera body that also makes good cappucino! Notice I said "good" cappucino. :)</p>

<p>Kaska, I primarily use DXO Version 5. I also use dFine 2.0 (Photoshop plug in).</p>

<p>I have tried demos of other programs but have yet to find a program superior to DXO's when shooting high ISO RAW files. While many programs do a good job at reducing noise, they often do it at the cost of detail. I find there is minimal detail loss with DXO. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Debt-free is the way to be. The only permissible debt is that related to income-producing assets. I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase all my lenses and both bodies (D300 / D700) for cash. If I could not pay cash, I would not have bought them. At one time I had over 30000 in credit card debt and struggled for several years to pay it off. I will never repeat that experience. Not even photography is worth going into debt for (unless it is REALLY an income producing business which is truly self-sustaining).</p>

<p>Having said that, it would be impossible for me to sell my D700. That camera is magic. I used Topaz de-noise on files from the D300. It works well but is not a substitiute for a D700. The other alternative is using light to paint with (strobist approach). I will not be upgrading my camera bodies for a long, long, time. Good luck with the D200...it's better than no camera at all.</p>

<p>Debt free is a good thing. I have a D200 and think it's a nice camera. Since I am a hobbyist and not really a shopper at heart (shopaholic) I will just keep shooting it and get my value from the camera. No plans on replacing it. The newer camera's do not have ISO 100 anyway which has been my favorite speed for many years.</p>

<p>The D200 is a very nice camera, no doubt about that. And I will pay for my next Nikon in cash, so that gives me a goal to work toward! NAS is addicting, I am certainly sure of that. I'll miss the gorgeous image quality from the D700, but debt free is where I have to be now. And stay that way. I can't use the D90 because it won't meter with manual focus Nikon lenses, which I have quite a few. The Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS is a nice fixed lens on a DX body. Sadly the D200 only has room for one non-CPU lens at a time...I'll get used to it.</p>

<p>When I upgraded from a D70s to a D200 I really noticed the difference. (eg shutter sound as you mentioned is very soft) and overall it exuded a feel of greater build quality. I can imagine that going backwards from a D700 would be traumatic though if the jump from d70s - D200 is similar to the size of the jump from D200 to D700. Never the less the D200 is a fine camera and I am very happy with mine - although if I were not married and therefore accountable to someone else I am sure I would be in the market for a D700. I have noticed after picking up my old F801s the other day that the D200 viewfinder is miniscule by comparison - smae in fact for any dx camera.</p>