<p>I have been looking at the SP3800, since I need a new printer. However, I noticed on the Epson site they don't even offer the SP3800 for sale, except a refurbished one. B&H still is selling them, but I have to wonder if Epson is about to unveil a new printer and discontinue the 3800. I would hate to spend that kind of money on a new printer that is about to be discontinued. Anyone heard anything about new Epson printers on the horizon?<br>

On a related note, what is the difference between the standard, pro, and portrait versions of the 3800? I believe it's just some software that gets bundled with the printer, but I don't know what the software does. </p>

<p>the answer (having been discussed millions of times) is: no one knows and those that know aren't saying (ie. NDA). Probably not sooner than 6+ months. <br>

the other versions contain RIP software which for photography, you dont need.</p>

<p>RIP comes in very handy if you are sending images direct to press. you can proof your colors in CMYK. Often I have to send images to magazines that I don't want to depend on someone else converting the files, do it myself, proof it and then its off to press. Also for self promo material you want to have a press print, you can know what you will get more accurately with a proper proof print in CMYK. This may not apply, but thats what the bundle RIP software is usually for, Colorburst / Best Color</p>

<p>I know this doesn't answer your question but ATLEX.com is selling the 3800 for $1150 with free shipping and if you buy $100 worth of photo paper at the same time you will receive a $300 rebate. This is quite a deal since you are getting $450 worth of ink as well.</p>

<p>I have a 4880 but the 3800 is very cool and incorporates the ability to switch relatively seamlessly between MK and PK inks, one of the innovations being phased in on the newer Epson large format printers. Very cool printer I would not hesitate unless you neeed roll paper support or print in larger volumes -- then buy the 4880.</p>

<p>Dave, why do you say that the 3800 isn't offered for sale at the Epson site? I went to the Professional Imaging section of the site and clicked on the icon for the 3800. It let me add one to my cart and said it would qualify for free shipping within 24 hours. I didn't go further than that, so maybe it's at the next step that stock is verified?</p>

<p>I visited the US site (not sure where you're located).</p>

<p>As Phil said, a rip could be use when you know why you need one..and for that reason, i agree with Howard, that 99% of the photographer i know dont need it. Plus the rip included with the epson printer use to be limited on there option..dont know if it still the case?</p>

<p>Knowing a bit Phil, im sure he really need it and a rip is a good thing for him and save a lot of time and money, but for me, i dont see the need and use, even if i print more than 40 16x20 a week : )</p>

<p>If you could buy a refurb 2200 today and you printed with QTR, selecting paper well, you might be as happy as with the faster, less cranky 3800. You might even print as well. I gave mine away (I bought it refurb after it was discontinued) after my refurb 3800 arrived....purchased only because I wanted to print on semi-gloss papers and felt bad about constant tiny cartridge replacement. 3800 is better and $1000 is cheaper than a good (eg MCRX or D2V) photo enlarger/lenses/trays/timer etc used to be thirty years ago and waaay cheaper than a top photo enlarger (big Durst)...what could we want that's better than 3800? A roll paper version? Free ink? ("yes" to the latter, but 3800's $400 inkset is a lot less expensive than the photo paper most of us wasted, trial and error, in darkroom)</p>

<p>OK, I'm an idiot. I looked at the Professional Imaging page at Epson, but I didn't notice the smaller icons for the printers, I only saw the display for the 7900 & 9900. Looks like the 3800 is still available. <br>

I was concerned because if I bought one right before it was discontinued, I'd potentially only get a couple years out of it before they discontinued the cartridges as well. I'm actually surprised that hasn't happened yet with the 2200. I guess when you factor in the cost of the ink that comes with the 3800, the printer costs about the same as my 2200 did 5 years ago. Not too shabby.<br>

Regarding ATLEX.com, mentioned by Steven above, has anyone dealt with them? I've never heard of them before. Are they reputable?</p>