Canon EOS 5D mk2 RAW conversion

<p>I've had my 5D2 since November and I still prefer the results that Canon's own DPP offers over ACR and Lightroom. Skin tones are so much better IMHO. The user interface is junk, but I could care less. I still want the best quality images.</p>

<p>The "differences" between RAW conversion software, at least in terms of image quality, are largely a result of different settings. For example, DPP respects that in-camera styles settings while ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and most other programs start from scratch.</p>

<p>If you have Photoshop, try to learn ACR first. Some advantages include:</p>

<ol>

<li>No need to go through an intermediate TIF file stage since files open directly in PS from ACR.</li>

<li>Tighter integration between the two programs. Of special note is the ability to open ACR RAW conversions as smart objects in PS. Among other things, this allows you to double-click the layer in PS and reopen it in ACR if you want to make changes to the RAW conversion settings later.</li>

<li>ACR has some very useful features including a very decent noise reduction/sharpening screen, the ability to remove dust before going to PS, and much more.</li>

</ol>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>I have always used ACR myself, but recently I have found some strange cyan colored pixels popping up in some of my RAWs when using ACR that are not present using DPP. Noise reduction is off in both. Does this mean ACR is not converting correctly?</p><div>00Sz5s-122421584.jpg.5e81cbacfca884daf66a976f6744a23a.jpg</div>

<p>-- "Does this mean ACR is not converting correctly?"</p>

<p>That is actually very hard to tell ... maybe ACR is converting correctly and DPP is mapping out a pixel-error. You might try the latest version of "dcraw" and see if it also produces this cyan pixels (in that case I would assume that DPP heals a failure that it is somehow able to detect) ... if dcraw doesn't produce those pixels, its eventually a bug in ACR.</p>

<p>Guys, it is always and simply a matter of how YOU configure and adjust your setting..If you got better result from DPP vs Ligthroom vs CIPro vs ACR..you just simply dont know how to correctly set the development in those software.</p>

<p>The problem (if whe can call that a problem) is that DPP kind of hold your hand over the process, making it more simple for you, and seem more accurate that way..where the other give you full control that can be overwelming for some and thus give what look like bad result..</p>

<p>Patrick, are you saying that you can can identical results on DPP vs C1Pro vs Lightroom/ACR? That has certainly not been my experience. And it would seem to require one to believe that camera profiles the software vendors have devised are irrelevant. And that's not been my experience either. I find the renderings of DPP and ACR to be not just different, but on some images, significantly different.</p>

<p>That is not to say that I cannot usually come up with an acceptable, even pleasing, rendition of almost any image in ACR. I usually can. But on some images - particularly of white people in natural light - DPP is just better. Sometimes much better. YMMV.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>All im saying is i use C1Pro and Ligthroom professionaly for over 5years (2-3 for Lr, since its realease) and ALL images from a canon, nikon or phase one camera dont go into NX or DPP for various reason, one being i dont have to learn 4 different software..but just one (since i use Ligthroom i barely dont use C1Pro anymore).<br>

My client are very demanding, and im very demanding because what i developed will be retouched by me for major ad campaing..not just to please me and my epson..<br>

So what you should read by my previous statement is theres is no time i ever need or feel the need to go into the proprietary software to get the job done..a job that i normally do in less than 3min per fianl frame import / developed / export in Ps.</p>

<p>I will be more than happy to see what can i do in Lr or C1Pro that you cant do yourself..or what i can do vs DPP. White people + natural light..its my cup of tea : )</p>

<p>Of course i hpe you have those images shot as raw and well exposed, as im use to work with good images to start with, not save bad exposure and do miracle (that i can do in need..but not for free).</p>

<p>Send me a email and i will send you my ftp adresse so you can upload 1-2 hirez images for me to look at.</p>

• 5 months later...