keeping gear dry when shooting

tracy_king1

<p>Im trying to figure out how to keep gear dry when shooting in not so great conditions including rain and snow. <br>

it would be for a gripped XSI with the longest lens being a hooded 55-250 down to a 50 1.8 (which only works in manual focus right now) and a couple speedlights. the speedlights I would assume that I could just put sandwich bags over and tie/tape up on the bottom to prevent the rain/snow from hitting them directly but I'm now sure if just the moisture in general would cause problems or not. the camera though I have no idea how to prevent that from getting wet other then standing under an umbrella and I wouldn't trust that very well. what can I do here to keep my gear safe?<br>

also on the topic of the speedlights would there be any problems with shooting them with an umbrella to soften the light while in this weather or should they be fine other then possibility of rust?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I keep a garbage bag in my camera bag along with a ziplock freezer bag big enough to hold a 5d and lens. I use the freezer bag to bring the camera in from the cold. The initial cold air inside the bag is dry so if you let the camera slowly warm from the outside cold the body and lens will not collect condensation which has caused camera failure. I was a newspaper photographer and successfully used garbage bags to cover my stuff when shooting football or other sports. I lost one body because I shot a soccer game against a deadline and did not have a bag with me. As stated above you can get covers for cameras which are a better option. Using bags over flashes sounds fine but you have to cover the camera too and the same rules apply in the cold. Leave the rubber band sealed bag on the flash as it slowly warms. The only time I use an IR filter is when I shoot swimming because of splashing. I use use an L lens which is water resistant. I would not use it in a downpour, however. Carrying the bags around has worked for me except for that one time. </p>

<p>I often shoot with an umbrella. Low tech but works amazingly well. Makes a great sunshade as well. Much better at cutting flare than Canon hoods.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Yeah I have done more than one wedding outside with someone holding an umbrella over my head. I have also refused to shoot outdoors in hard rain and helped move a couple of weddings inside so we all did not get soaked. New England weather is very unpredictable. </p>

I use a shower cap to protect my Canon 20D (it fits perfectly), in rain or snow, i dont bother using flash anyway because the partices closest to camera will be lit up too brightly..will just ruin the photos.

I tuck the camera under rain coat when not in use, when i am ready, i just get it out for a moment and just snap.

<p>In light rain, my 5D and my older 20D worked OK even without a cover. It would be nice to have a sealed professional system but I'll save that for another lifetime. I have the Kata rain cover for major problems, but it's somewhat awkward to set up and I can't say I'm overly happy with their system. The Kata takes too long to dismantle, and when it is on it is awkward to use. Good for really long glass but not so great for glass shorter than the 300. If you want to use the camera neck strap you need to rethread the strap every time you put on and take off the cover. For those who use bigger glass I suppose most of them don't use the neck strap anyway. There is a convenient separate opening to allow the lens mount to be properly sitting in a tripod, with surprisingly good sealing around the tripod ballhead. It might be better if I had to stand still in a downpour at a professional event, but amateurs like me usually move indoors when that happens. And it's annoying when rain is intermittent, as you want to shed the cover at the first opportunity. The price for the Kata was pretty good, fitting with how often I use it. The most annoying part of the Kata is the poor vision you get through the viewfinder, having to look though an extra layer of bulky plastic.<br>

The newer Thinktank is said to be better in that you don't have to look though plastic over the eyepiece, as their system allows you to attach your eyepiece in a hole in the plastic. I have no personal experience with their system but I would give that one a look. You buy a Thinktank eyepiece clip specifically designed for your camera, that will dovetail with the plastic cover for better vision through the viewfinder without having to look through an extra layer of plastic. As I recall the Thinktank is more money.</p>

<p>Dave</p>