Canon 1ds mark II vs Canon 5d Mark II

marc_felber1

<p>Which of these cameras is better for all around use and in for all types of weather to use? Canon 1ds Mark II vs Canon 5d Mark II, if you have around $2, 700 to spend? How well built is the Canon 1ds Mark II. Would be used mostly for wide angle landscape shots.</p>

<p>It is a difficult choise; both cameras are full frame, so both are good for wide angle landscape.<br>

The 1DS markII has better weather sealing but the 5D markII has newer technology and more megapixels.<br>

If it was my choise, i would go with the 5D markII.<br>

You should also think about what lens you are going to use.</p>

<p>The weather question needs more explanation. The 1-series bodies are clearly built to a higher standard of weather resistance, and using a 1-series with those L lenses that specifically are designed to become weather sealed with the addition of a front filter might give you the highest level of weather resistance.</p>

<p>But the 5-series bodies are certainly not unusable in weather. I use mine (5D and 5DII) in light rain - though I work to keep it protected by using a case, etc. - and ocean, mountain, and desert environments. I take them on long backpacking trips and so forth.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>The 5DMk2 gives you a bit more resolution, but if weight/bulk is not a concern and rainy conditions are, then I would recommend the 1d2Mk2 over it for routine landscape. The live view feature of the 5DMk2 is incredibly helpful for macro, so if you had mentioned this I would have given it the nod. Canon recently announced two wide-angle tilt-shift lenses that you should consider, although neither of these are weather-sealed.</p>

<p>Pros for 1Ds Mk II<br>

1. Better, much better AF.<br>

2. Better (probably the best) weather sealing<br>

3. Long battery life<br>

4. Other smaller niceties that come only with 1D series (but are normal on other manufacturers), such as more usable +/-3EV, Better bracketing, etc..</p>

<p>Pros for 5D Mk II<br>

1. High ISO Capabilities (not necessarily better though)<br>

2. Live View<br>

3. Bigger LCD<br>

4. AF Micro adjustment</p>

<p>In my case, I have a 5D. I upgraded to 5D Mk II but besides better LCD I did not notice any improvement, so I returned it. I am now in market for a good used 1DS MK II to upgrade to.</p>

<p>Ya, luminous landscape, kind of funny how their previous arctic trip had the same sealing issues with the 1D II. Now its the 5D II. I wonder if they just like reporting problems with the latest canon cameras. Not that its a bad thing to do, any camera can be improved. I'd love to sell my 5D II in a couple of years or more, and buy a camera with three times the capabilities.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For landscape work, with just basic common sense in poor weather (like a rain hood) the 5D MkII will give you better ultimate image quality.<br>

I just bought a 1Ds MkII though. My reasoning was different, I am very happy with the images from 16.7 mp files, I don't need anything the 5D MkII has that the older 1 series doesn't have and I do need and want the best and fastest AF. $2,700 gets you a very low use 1Ds MkII with everything it came with and the box, average ones are going for a good bit less now. They are built like tanks and are way overkill for most situations, particularly landscapes. If landscapes were my priority I would have spent my money on the 5D MkII.</p>

<p>The lenes I planned to use on the FF are the 17-24. But I was wondering if I really need the 14mm f/2.8 since I costs three times the price for nice landscapes. Also, I never used the <br>

live view feature on both the Canon 1d Mark III and 40D. I will also be selling my 40 since I need something that does more. </p>

"5D Mk II is a full frame so much better for WA landscape." - Mohamed Abdially

<br>The OP is asking abuout the 1Ds markII which is also full-frame :)

<p>Back to the matter at hand, as has been said, the 5D2 has better 'electronics' but the 1Ds is no slouch and had very good AF as well as true weather-sealing. Ultimately, either provides a superb tool for your intended purposes, so the choice will come down to what you value more in terms of features...

<p>Well the 1DsII cetainly has better weather sealing, but I would opt for 5DII. For landscape work it is the perfect camera. There are inexpensive ways to help weatherize your camera if you feel you need to. You have to explore the advantages of that Live View with the 3" high resolution LCD for landscape tripod work. Use it like a mini view camera, adjusting focus, grid screen and for ND grad filters is a dream. I can't think of having a camera without that now that I do. Image quailty of those 21MP images are impressive to say the least.</p>

<p>I'd pick 5DII over the old 1DSII if shutter lag and AF are not an issue for the subjects you plan to shoot, i.e. landscape, architecture etc. If you want to do sports or low light street quick snaps pick the 1DSII.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As someone told you before, the 1Ds Mark II is weather sealed. I had been using mine for 4 years and it's good. But it's a brick. When travelling I suffer to carry it with me. On the other side the 5D is nice to carry with you, it's light. It has tech improvements over the 1Ds II, but is not weather sealed. You better go to a store and do a test drive.</p>