1x-2xx lens for Canon Xsi

kwsharp

<p>I am interested in a 'superzoom' lens for my Xsi. I will be traveling soon and like the range. I would take the zoom and my 50mm f1.4. Further I will go up to the replacement for the 50D when it arrives and give the Xsi to my girlfriend who now has a superzoom Canon point and shoot.<br>

I've read a good review of the Tamron 18-270mm in Shutterbug, but have red more negatiive ones elsewhere. <br>

Any experience/opinions out there?<br>

Thanks in Advance,<br>

-ken</p>

<p>I have the 18-270 Tamron. It's a good compromise when I want to travel light. It is not great at the long end, but still very usable. Otherwise it is fairly good optically. AF is a little slow, but it's not bad. The VC system it uses is as good as any Canon IS system in any of my other lenses. It seems to be built decently enough for a consumer lens of this type.</p>

<p>I wish Canon's lens was a but sharper, used a real ring type USM, and was built better. I would rather have stayed with the manufacturer's lens, even at a reasonable premium price. But there didn't seem to be *any* advantage to the Canon 18-200, and in several ways the Tamron is slightly better. But you don't buy these types of lenses because you need the highest quality. You buy it because it's convenient. Either one qualifies in that regard.</p>

<p>I bought the CANON 18-200 for a trip to China and Tibet recently. Same reasons as you...did not want to have to carry all the other stuff. I also took along the 50mm for low light. I loved the l18-200. It is as close to a perfect travel lens as you will find. It has IS! I can easily hand hold at a 15th of a second. I had NO problems with the focus. In fact, in most all cases it was fast. Is it as sharp as my 70-200 F2.8? Probably not, but it takes great travel pictures, and a few of the China pictures have been blown up to 13 X 19 and sold in the gallery. When I have to travel, carry equipment a long ways, hike or backpack...that is the lens I use. I am shooting with a 40D.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have the Sigma 18-200 OS. I find it to be a very useful multi-purpose lens.</p>

<p>For me, as someone who likes taking pictures and collecting cameras and lenses, it's perfectly adequate.</p>

<p>I rarely use any other lens.</p>

<p>Henry</p>