Advice on Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM AF or?

wmc718

<p>I'm considering purchasing this lens for both the low-light capability and very shallow depth-of-field (DOF) at the F/1.4 setting... so shallow, that one can literally put half of his subject's face out of focus. <br>

Because of the 4/3's penchant to increase DOF, I just wonder if anyone has tried this lens and what your results have been? Are there any other lenses you might suggest? I wast to stick with a compatible AF. Thanks.</p>

<p>It's not really about that lens, per se. It's the laws of physics. <strong><a href="http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html">Right here</a></strong> is a very helpful tool that can show you exactly what sort of DoF you'll get on what format of camera/sensor using a given focal length and aperture on subjects a given distance from the camera.<br /><br />For what it's worth, I use that same lens in front of an APS-C format sensor all the time. It's delightful, and produces really nice out-of-focus areas when you're using it wide open like that.</p>

<p>The Panasonic/Leica Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH is a far better performer than the Sigma wide open, and in most other ways as well. I've made many many satisfying photographs with it, it's one of my most-used lenses.</p>

<p>An example image file taken in RAW format and exported from Lightroom 2 with LR's default processing, full size and resolution at f/1.4: http://homepage.mac.com/godders/summilux_25_WO.jpg</p>

<p>It shows the corner and edge quality wide open very nicely. </p>

<p>Godfrey</p>

<p>While I would agree that the Panasonic 1.4/25 is better than the Sigma, I would not want to admit that it is 'far better'. At least Popular Photography found the Sigma to be quite excellent and that is my experience from using one as well. The Panasonic is quite a lot more expensive as well, which may be a consideration for some.<br>

<a href="http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Lenses/Lens-Test-Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-EX-DC-HSM-AF">http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Lenses/Lens-Test-Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-EX-DC-HSM-AF</a></p>

<p>Ilkka:</p>

<p>If you get a good copy of the Sigma 30, it can be a decent performer. Getting a good copy of a Sigma lens is something I've never been able to achieve, that's why I gave up on them completely.</p>

<p>But the Summilux 25 is a far better performer *wide open* anyway, which is what I buy an f/1.4 lens for. I did a quick check of my LR catalog and found that the vast majority of all my photos with the Summilux (over 5000) were made at lens openings between f/1.4 and f/2.5 ...</p>

<p>If I want a 25mm lens for FourThirds and I'm going to stop it down to f/4 or f/5.6 to get good results, I'll use the far less expensive Olympus ZD 25/2.8, save a bunch of money, and have a lens a quarter the size and weight .. :-)</p>

<p>All that said, and my bias against Sigma notwithstanding, if the 30/1.4 is producing the results you want, well, then it's a fine lens. I don't really bank on test reports very much. I prefer first hand experience with lenses ... </p>

<p>Michael,</p>

<p>All the Panasonic/Leica FourThirds SLR lenses are 100% compatible with all Olympus E-System bodies. The same compatibility is assured for Olympus E-System lenses on Panasonic/Leica FourThirds SLR bodies too. I use my Vario-Elmarit-D 14-50/2.8-3.5 ASPH OIS and Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH on both Panasonic L1 and Olympus E-1 bodies interchangeably, just like I use the various ZD 11-22, 25, 35 Macro and 50-200 lenses on both bodies.</p>

<p><em>(<strong>Note on control differences</strong>: Olympus bodies control the lens aperture using on-body controls, they don't see the Panasonic/Leica aperture ring on lenses that have them. Olympus ZD lenses do not have aperture rings: the Panasonic/Leica FourThirds bodies recognize this and allow control of the aperture by use of on-body controls. </em></p>

<p><em>Similarly, some Panasonic/Leica lenses have image stabilization implemented in the lens ... the OIS works on Olympus bodies but only in one mode, where the Panasonic/Leica bodies have three modes. Olympus implemented IS in the body so no Olympus lenses have OIS. In general, when using a Panasonic lens that supports OIS on an Olympus body that has in-body IS, the in-body IS should be used instead of the OIS. You can't use both IS systems simultaneously.)</em></p>

<p>BTW, the Panasonic/Leica Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH is also fully compatible with the Panasonic G1 micro-FourThirds body using the Panasonic DMW-MA1 FourThirds to micro-FourThirds mount adapter, supporting all functions except for AF-C (continuous autofocus).</p>

<p>Godfrey</p>

<p>I neglected to mention that Panasonic supplies a compatibility page:<br /> <a href="http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/FourThirds_lens.html" target="new1">http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/FourThirds_lens.html </a> <br /><br /> <em>(The Summilux 25 is the <strong>L-X025</strong> lens in Panasonic nomenclature.)</em> <br /><br /> They haven't updated this page since the E-510, it seems, but I'm certain there are no compatibiity issues with the later Olympus SLR bodies either.</p>

<p>Godfrey,<br>

Thanks so much for all of this very useful information! I did know about not running both IS sytems at once, but I had also wondered about aperture ring usage.<br>

It sounds to me as though you are a hard-core four-thirds guy. How are you liking the system as compared to the ASP-C and full-frame sensors? Seems to be a lot of wars going on about them!<br>

Thank you all again for your input and sharing of knowledge!<br>

Michael</p>

<p>Michael, </p>

<p>My first DSLR kit was Canon but I never really got on well with Canon bodies and lenses. Don't know why but that kit left me dissatisfied. Got a lot of good photos with it, however.</p>

<p>I shot with Pentax DSLR gear for a couple of years, liked the lenses and found the bodies nicer than the Canon. I acquired the Panasonic L1 inexpensively and found I really liked it. That was followed by a brace of Olympuz ZD lenses and the Olympus E-1 body which I'd liked in 2004, still like it. I find this gear to be very satisfying.</p>

<p>I've used various Canons (10D, 20D, 40D, 1Ds, 5D) and recently had the opportunity to try the Nikon D300 and D700 (which are really nice). Various friends have a mix of all of these and other bodies, we get together and share work often. I rarely get all that attached to any specific piece of equipment.</p>

<p>When it comes right down to it, the lenses and the photographers' skill make the biggest difference to me, not the body or the sensor format. I like the Panasonic/Leica and Olympus FourThirds lenses, and I like the freedom to adapt and use some of my old favorite Nikon, Pentax, Olympus OM and Pen F, Leica M and other lenses that the micro-FourThirds body allows. There are of course differences in imaging qualities, responsiveness, etc. ... I'm not pushing the edge in sensitivity, or sequence capture speed in my work. Perhaps if I really needed that, I'd buy the Nikon D3. 5 to 12 Mpixel is doing my work just fine too. A fast lens with nice rendering makes more difference to me than a fancier body.</p>

<p>I try to choose what I like to work with, for whatever reason, and then exploit what it does, workaround what it doesn't. I hate the "format wars" and brand snobbery ... I like good cameras that do what I want them to. There are a lot of good cameras out there, right now the FourThirds gear is working well for me so I'm using it. </p>

<p>Godfrey<br>

<i>Equipment often gets in the way of photography. </i></p>

<p>Very well put indeed Godfrey! Couldn't have said it better. I have shared the same experiences with you in the past, but all with film cameras. In addition to shooting professionally, I also had the great experience of working in a few camera stores.<br>

Except for the high-end Canons, I never cared for their low-end and middle-line cameras. I had Pentax, Minolta and an OM4-T. All good cameras. I especially loved the Oly glass. I also had a couple of Mamiya 645s which I used for most of my work.<br>

With DSLRs, I have really enjoyed my Olympus. I'm certain I would like the Panasonic too. And like you, I get off on qualtiy lenses. And, after reading this article <a href="http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/sensor-size.html">http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/sensor-size.html</a> and visiualizing the various sensors, I can't help wondering what all the fuss is about anyway!<br>

Michael</p>