50D firmware 1.0.5 update rumor

<p>I am a bit confused. A while ago, i was puzzled be some photography forum postings claiming they have got their <em>50D</em> with the <strong>firmware 1.0.5 </strong> . the current firmware on my <em>50D</em> is <strong>1.0.3 </strong> . I was compelled to check it out in the Canon site. the latest firmware available was <strong>1.0.3</strong> . I am still a bit unsure about the situation. Has anybody heard the same rumor? and Dose anybody have a <em>50D</em> with the <strong>1.0.5 firmwar</strong> e?</p>

<p>You ain't missing any features so don't stop taking pictures. FW updates normally correct minor glitches such as display errors in Chinese. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>FW updates normally correct minor glitches such as display errors in Chinese.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>..or add important features, correct focusing errors and do a myriad of important things (see the last two FW updates for 1Ds3.) And the cited examples are just the "official line" of Canon: often while officially fixing "display errors in Chinese" FW also corrects many other bugs.<br>

And to the OP - FW 1.0.5 for the 50D is/was just a 'net rumor.</p>

Minor glitches or important features? One can only hope that they do something about the buttons below the LCD screen. When the camera hangs in the strap "asleep" around my neck or shoulder those buttons get pressed accidentally all the time, waking the camera up, switching to image review mode, activating the screen, draining the battery. I've even had the picture style setting change. This poor design could easily be compensated by a custom function, added through a firmware update, allowing the user to choose how to activate the camera from sleep mode: with any button, like now, or with the shutter release button only. Canon, please!

<p>Thread hijack, apologies to the OP...</p>

<blockquote>

<p> ...those buttons get pressed accidentally all the time...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>@Anders: What lens do you have mounted when this occurs? Do you have the battery grip installed? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>...those buttons get pressed accidentally all the time...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hmm, has never happened to me and I've shot regularly with 50D since 9/2008. Of course I do daily situps so maybe less pressure on the buttons? :-) Seriously there's usually a simple workaround to most problems like this. I use a BG-E2 so that may "shield" the buttons. I attach the strap to the bottom and side lugs too (hangs from side of camera body). You can do the same with a camadapter if you're a BG-E2 hater. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>..or add important features, correct focusing errors and do a myriad of important things (see the last two FW updates for 1Ds3.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sure there are rare exceptions. However Canon adds new features to FW only once in a bluemoon. They usually wait for a new model to ad features. Most FW updates fix minor glitches. In fact, I've delayed adding many of them and didn't notice any diff when I finally got around to applying. Basically if your camera works well now, it's no biggie.</p>

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>I'd like an update that converts the direct print button to an MLU button :<)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually it is now used to invoke liveview, so it does lock up the mirror. You wish has come true!</p>

- Robert Hunter

<p>"...it is now used to invoke liveview, so it does lock up the mirror."<br>

Hey, I never noticed that because I've never had a reason to try liveview! It works, but unfortunately liveview also heats the sensor and drains the battery. If only I can figure out how invoke liveview without actually activating the sensor I'll be happy... (sort of like asking for spam, spam, spam, toast and spam without the spam, LOL).</p>

<p>Anders, I've never had a problem with accidentally pressing the buttons but I've heard a few others mention this as well. Like you, I use a variety of lenses, and can't say that I've ever had that happen. I don't use a battery grip either, so that eliminates that as a cause. I do keep a Manfrotto quick release mount attached, and it keeps the bottom edge of the camera tilted slightly away from my fat belly. ;-) I suspect that may be the reason.</p>