Mounting Nikon SB800 on stand?

mcg

<p>Although I use studio flash, I've never tried using my SB800 speedlight off camera on a stand.<br /> <br /> Can someone give me a specific name of a bracket I can use to hold the SB800 so I can just order one? Do such brackets tend to fit to any stand, or do stands vary in the size of their top fitting?<br /> <br /> Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Your SB-800 came with a table stand (that flat black cold shoe plastic contraption). You'll notice that there's a female threaded fitting on the bottom of that - which will go right onto any standard tripod stud. So right there, you've got a way to mount it as-is, if you have a spare tripod.<br /><br />For a little more flexibility, you can try an elbow adapter that will also handle an umbrella.<br /><br />Go to the top of this page, and change the search tool's pull-down to "Adorama Store," and then search for:<br /><br /> 2905<br /><br />which is a Bogen part number. That's the tool, right there, for use on a standard light stand.</p>

<p>Moray,<br>

the most common method to mount any speedlight on a lightstand is an adapter like Bogens Manfrotto Swivel Umbrella Adapter (Lite-Tite) MA-26 or a similar item. Just mount the SB-800 with the supplied Nikon AS-19 (or another hotshoe-adapter) and you are ready to shoot. If you don't want to use an umbrella, just the „naked“ SB800, you could also mount the hotshoe-adapter on the 1/4-screw some smaller lightstands (Manfrottos Nano for example) come with. <br>

Hope this helps and please excuse my english, georg.</p>

<p>.. and if/when you add the "coldshoe" as recommended above, make sure you understand what will happen to all the "hot" signals in the SB-800 flash hot foot...after you slip hot footed flash into such a coldshoe and power up the flash... let us know how that worked for you... and if you are happy with it ?</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I live in the UK, so will see if I can source such a clamp here. It's a will since I've seem my supplied stand, but I was wanting to try an umbrella and so needed a substantial fitting.<br>

I want to leave my lighting stands for studio work - do these adapters fit only standard lighting stands, or tripods too?</p>