My first LF camera. need suggestion.

simus

<p>Hi to all,</p>

<p> I almost decided about buying a shen hao as my first LF camera. <br>

I think i'll choose among the TZ45-IIB and the PTB 4x5. I do not know which of the two because this is my very first LF camera and I have never touched a LF camera. I have read about the use and the effect given by tilting, shifting, risining and so on, but I cannot understand how much is the difference beetween the two cameras, and above all, what one camera might give the other one cannot. camera will be used mostly for landscapes. <br>

thanks for looking/helping.</p>

<p>Shen-Hao PTB 4X5<br />Specifications: <br /> <br />• Bellows Extention: 45mm-390mm<br />• Front Raise & Fall:50mm/10mm <br />• Front Shift: 40mm/40mm <br />• Front axis Tilt: Limited only by the bellows <br />• Front Swing: Limited only by the bellows <br />• Rear Base Tilt Forward: Limited only by the bellows <br />• Rear Base Tilt Back: 20 degrees <br />• Rear Swing: 20 degrees <br /></p>

<p>Shenhao TZ45-IIB Folding Professional Camera <br>

Specifications: <br /><br>

• Bellows Draw: 75-340mm <br>

• Front: Rise 23mm Fall 43mm <br>

• Base Tilt 90° Back20° <br />• Right Shift 12mm Left Shift 12mm <br />• Swing +25° -25° <br />• Rear: Rise 55mm <br />• Base Tilt 90° Back 22° <br />• Swing +10°, -10° <br /></p>

<p>The first camera gives you the ability to go ridiculously wide and slightly longer (mostly useful for closeups and you should get full normal use from a 300mm lens). The second one will give you use of most lenses. The first one gives you a bit more flexibility on movements but unless you are using a 8x10 lens a lot of that extra movement will be lost really. Best advice I would give is if the prices are similar go for the PTB. If it is a lot more go for the the TZ. The TZ will more than likely never feel limiting unless you get carried away with movements, or just really feel the need to take your LF camera to the skate park to take wicked fisheyes of the guys sick moves. Or whatever. In other words it depends on how you see movements. If they are a tool for simple adjustments then you won't need as much. If you are doing a lot of studio shoots and just really need to make full use of movements for special projects and things like that then you will want all you can get. My philosophy is it never hurts to overkill unless overkill costs are prohibitive. </p>

<p>Thanks very much. Everithing is becomeing more and more clear as I have been interesting on LF cameras for just some day.<br>

I think I'll buy the PTB for its better use with short focals eventhough i like TZ so much for the design. and then PTB costs about 150 £ less than the Tz. So as my first approach it should go more than fine. <br>

Anyway I'll start with buying the TCB, a 150 Rodenstock N Sironar, spirit level.<br>

As for the film side, something is not to much clear to me; TCB has international/graflock back. But what can i mount on a international / graflock back? I saw a Toyo 4x5 double darkslide selling for 50£ a couple. Will they fit the camera? <br>

Same doubt about the polaroid back. I sas many but i do not know which will fit. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Comparing the minimum bellows draw of 45mm and 75mm I think I would find the 75mm quite restrcting. I frequently use 65mm lenses and with movements added the 45mm min extension would be necessary for me.</p>

<p>The other reason you might want a short min extension is if you ever want to use a roll film back where the standard lens would be say 105mm or 90mm.</p>

<p>According to Rodenstock - all of their lenses have been "APO" spec'd for decades. They just did not start labeling them as such until Schneider did and then Rodenstock followed the competition. I cannot remember where I read everything, but it was a legit site. A clean f4.5 or 5.6 Multi-Coated Roden, Schneider or Nikon (as John Sexton uses) should be more than fine.</p>

<p>...and at the end I choose the Shen-Hao PTB with the simmar 150 S. <br>

Bought from Robertwhite.co.uk. Ordered yesterday morning at 7 AM, shipped at 11 AM and delivered today after a day and some 2 thousand kilometers. Not bad for a 2000 kms distance. Anyway I am already at work trying to understand how all theese movements work. The camera came with no manual so I took a look at this site just as a starting point. <br>

<br>

http://www.ndavidking.com/Tech%20Articles/Large%20format%20Camera.pdf</p>

Now I have to understand how to load the film and then the back on the camera. Anyway with a little care and time I should do it. <br />

<p>Can you suggest me some more resource on the web and on bookshops. <br>

Antonio</p>