Tripod & Ballhead at 5lbs for $500

jeremy_john

<p>I am looking for your thoughts and advice. I want to get a tripod and ballhead with a QR plate--the ideal would be something like the Gitzo Mountaineering Series legs (1541) with a good ballhead, but the legs alone run at about $600. I would really like to keep this in the vicinity of $500. With this in mind, I have decided to purchase relatively inexpensive legs (to be upgraded down the road) and focus on getting a good ballhead (one I won't want or need to replace in the near future). Also, since this would be primarily for carrying out in the woods or in city parks, etc., I would like to keep it fairly light--in the vicintiy of 5lbs. The tripod/head will need to support a D300 with lenses ranging in size from a 35mm f/2 to a 70-200mm f/2.8. The primary lenses I anticipate being on the tripod are the 105 f/2.8 macro and the 14-24mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>With this in mind, my initial thought was to get the Boge/Manfrotto 190XPROB legs at about $150 and look for a ball head with the rest. That tripod supports 11 lbs and weighs 4 lbs. </p>

<p>Two questions for y'all: (1) Do you see any serious concerns with this set of legs or can you recommend a better set while leaving room (i.e. $$) for a good ballhead, and (2) what ballheads should I consider. One that I have read about through this forum is the RRS BH-40. The price is right and it seems like a good fit for my needs. The Gitzo 1780 QR Center also looks like a fine head.</p>

<p>Any thoughts would be appreciated!</p>

<p>The RRS BH-40 is an excellent choice. The Lever Release version is quick and easy to use. You will need RRS or Wimberely camera and lens plates to match up with the RRS Arca-Swiss style QR. I have used the BH-40 for a few years and love it. It will last you a long long time.<br>

The best article / must read on tripods and heads is by Thom Hogan and is located at http://www.bythom.com/support.htm I highly recommend you read it before you make your purchases (BTW, he does use the BH-40 himself).</p>

<p>I can't comment on the 190xprob but will say that if you merely would "really like" to keep costs down and it is not a financial impossibility, you should get what you want/need the first time. Otherwise you're just adding $150 to the cost of the Gitzo Mountaineer you'll end up with anyway. Thom Hogan's article nails the tripod purchasing patterns of too many of us - remember 'the stingy person spends the most money.' If you really can't afford it of course it's another story.</p>

<p>Also I just happen to have ordered a Gitzo Mountaineer 1541 from Adorama for $519. (It's $599 at B+H for some reason.) It came two days ago and I haven't tested it extrememly well (I shoot only 35mm and need to process), but even with an old cheap Slik Standard ballhead ($60 these days) it seems to keep my F100 w/ 70-300 solid at the far end if I hang a daypack over it (my common practice to save weight on carrying a bigger tripod). My aluminum Gitzos have served me well but if I was starting fresh I'd definitely go carbon fiber.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would recommend at least looking into Feisol CF legs. I bought mine (3-section) about 3 years ago without the benefit of much test data or field reviews, and have been pleasantly surprised by it's performance. Being CF it is very light. It stands tall (brings my eye-piece up to about 5'6" without center column), was affordable - around $200, and is SOLID. This will leave you around $300 for a decent head. <br>

Anish </p>

<p>I'd look in to the 055xb legs from Manfrotto. The 190 are just fine, but they can't support quite as much weight (not a big deal with what you are talking about), but they also can't extend as high without raising the center column. With my 055xb legs fully extended and the center column collapsed I can look through the view finder without slumping or crouching at all and I am 6'1" with an Olympus OM-1n (not a tall camera).<br>

The Manfrotto heads are decent as well. They will certainly handle the weight/length you are talking about okay. They are not as good for super telephotos, especially fast ones. My 486rc2 does a great job, though with my Sigma 400/5.6 on there it isn't as secure as with my 70-210/2.8...its just a bit to long...though I can still shot just fine with it.</p>

<p>You could always get a good Gitzo tripod, and a used Gitzo off-center ball head (they run pretty cheap, but are strong), then upgrade your ballhead later. The last thing I would cheap out on is my legs, because a good set of tripod legs will last longer than you will.<br /> <br /> After going from a cheap aluminum tripod to a Gitzo carbon-fiber, I don't know how I could live without my Gitzo. Not to mention, it'll never wear out in my lifetime.</p>

<p>I would agree that the Gitzo carbon fiber pods are probably the best, and will last a long long time. However, I made a mistake in getting the Gitzo offset ball head when I bought the legset. It could just not hold my Nikkor 500P steady when locked down. I replaced it with a Kirk BH-1, a good decision! </p>

<p>Alex,<br /> <br /> I agree, the Gitzo off-center isn't the best. I swear by gitzo legs, but am not too impressed with their heads. The only reason I suggested the off-center was as an inexpensive temporary head until he could offord something better. I paid just around $100 for my Gitzo off-center. Although I think the head itself is pretty steady, the quick release sucks (and I do get a bit of movement from it) which is not good at long focal lengths.</p>

<p>Kirk makes a great head. But personally I like the BH-55 from Really Right Stuff. And they run about the same price as the Kirk heads. I think it all boils down to personal preference though, kirk makes a great product.</p>