Canon EOS 500D , 15mp camera announced

suhaskulkarni

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09032504canoneos500d.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09032504canoneos500d.asp</a></p>

<ul>

<li>15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor</li>

<li>Full HD movie recording with HDMI connection for viewing and playback on an HDTV </li>

<li>ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 12800)</li>

<li>3.4 frames per second continuous shooting</li>

<li>Max. 170 large JPEG images in a single burst</li>

<li>3.0” ClearView LCD with Live View mode</li>

<li>9-point wide area AF with cross type centre point</li>

<li>High speed DIGIC 4 performance and superb image quality</li>

<li>EOS Integrated Cleaning System</li>

<li>Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites, including new Speedlite 270EX, TS-E 17mm f/4L and TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II</li>

</ul>

<p>Basically, I guess a sensor similar to 50D in rebel body....<br>

9-point wide area AF :-) I think this is new to rebel (or not)?</p>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>will need to go into a detailed side by side comparison, but from top of the head, the specs look pretty similar to those of 50D. 50D has a better built and probably a faster frame rate. Its too close too 50d specs in my opinion, maybe a slight updated version of 50D on its way? </p>

<p>Wow. This must be only 12 months since the 450D. Seems Canon is increasing the refresh rate. Must have felt compelled to provide HD video at the entry level.<br>

It amuses me the way Canon announces compatibility with the new TS-E 17 f4L! Not sure which 500D owner is going to be buying that lens.</p>

<p>Canon is pushing the lower end market. Better they should fix the autofocus issues with the 1DMkIII and 1DsMkIII for the top end cameras. They are losing market to Nikon because of the problems that have effected some of these top cameras. Some are fine and some just won't autofocus consistently and here they are playing with more new low end cameras. I guess they know where the money is and who matters to them.</p>

<p><em>Better they should fix the autofocus issues with the 1DMkIII and 1DsMkIII for the top end cameras</em> . <em>I guess they know where the money is and who matters to them.</em><br>

In times of crisis nobody can afford luxury. I do not have insight into Canon's profits but I'd be surprised if the 1 series are a big part of them. And didn't they just bring out some new firmware for those autofocus issues? Even if that did not solve the problem you can't really blame them for not trying.</p>

<p>The release pricing ($799 / €799 / £869) put's it above the entry level somewhere between the 40D & 50D, in terms of features it's and odd mix of all levels full 20fps 1080p HD in a plastic body and 15MP.<br>

I would guess it is intended to rival the Nikon D90 which also has (720p) video recording</p>

<p>Very expensive, more expensive than the 50D, okay the addition of a (mute?) video mode: Can't see any mention of either crappy built in mic or external connection ala 5Dmk2.<br>

Yes the price will drop. I think this price is artifically high to account for the strong yen & weak pound. A lot of companies selling 50ds and 450ds will be doing so from pre-increase stock, and new cameras are always artifically high.<br>

12.4 to 15MP is not a headline maker. Is video enough of a wanted feature to warrant an upgrade from a 400d or 450d?<br>

I'm going to hang on to my 400d just now, mainly cos I have a few Sandisk 3 CF cards, 4 batterries and a grip, non of which will work on the 450d or 500d. Besides, my 400D is still taking the same quality of photos that it took when new, and they were good enough for me then.</p>

<p>As a 450D user, I dont see much difference than the added video feature :S. Everything is the same ? metering, number of focus points, ergonomics etc.etc.<br>

Nothing major . . just a small update I guess. I am waiting for the next XXD release the end of this year :)</p>

<p>The buffer size is actually bigger, it's just the files sizes are bigger as well.</p>

<p>Canon also announced a new flash. The 270EX replaces the 220EX. From the little I've seen on Canon's site it's a 220 with a bit higher guide number and bounce(?) head. It looks more like a 220 than a 430.</p>

<p>Josh, I agree. I don't think this will compete with 5d2 at all. I just ordered a 5D2, not just for the video. I wanted full frame and having video is just a bonus that made me pay the extra money over the 5D1 ( along with the ISO performance and better viewfinder ). Also I prefer the feel and control of the 40/5D bodies over the rebel series. I also plan to use this camera for a long time and the 5D is more durable and should last longer.<br>

If I was getting my first SLR or I was a very casual shooter I think the T1i would be first on my list, especially for travel. </p>

<p>That just creates even more confusion to casual buyers ... can't wait to see posts like "Which camera - 40D or 50D or 450D or 1000D or 500D" :)<br>

With so many good much cheaper camcorders being on the market, I really wonder why the video mode on DSLR's have become so fascinating!</p>

<p>"With so many good much cheaper camcorders being on the market, I really wonder why the video mode on DSLR's have become so fascinating!"<br>

<br /> • One less thing to carry<br /> • Shoot video through your Lenses</p>

<p>"Because carrying one thing around is easier than carrying two things around." - true that you carry less equipment but also give up a lot of functionality ... at the end of the day its more of a personal choice. I still wonder what percentage of people who buy a DSLR for this feature would finally consider the camera as a replacement of a camcorder. At least to me its more like feel good feature - "I am happy that I have it on my camera"! Anyway, who cares, Canon is happy ... they got their market share :)</p>