Feeding my NAS - with a D50!

jannekaakinen

<p>I currently have D80 and I've been <em>really</em> thinking about getting a new body, D300 to be exact, for quite some time now. At the same time I have been toying with the idea of getting a cheaper body for those random "I wish I had my camera with me"-moments, a not-so-expensive-little-DSLR to always carry around with me in my bag with cheap prime attached to it.</p>

<p>Yesterday while going through local auction sites in the net (secretly hoping to find a great deal on D300), I came across with a great deal on a used D50 - and without any hesitations pulled the trigger on that right away! The seller lived in the neighbourhood, so I was lucky enough to get hold of it today and spend the rest of the day just playing with my new-old toy! Now the D50 was no stranger to me, I used to have one before I got my D80, and I actually had missed it every now and then, mostly for sentimental reasons - it was my first (D)SLR. I almost had forgotten what a great little puppy the D50 is! I slapped my 50/1.8 lens on it and took more photos today with the D50 than what I had taken in previous month or two with D80, and they came out great!</p>

<p>So this was just something I wanted to share with you all. A realisation that with NAS it does not always mean that I need to get something better, and in my case a step backwards is actually more than two steps forwards - I really reconnected with the joy of just taking pictures, and now I have something to carry around every time I leave home, and keep the D80 in safe for more "serious" shooting. This just might help me postpone the inevitable moment of needing to buy the D300 (or it's successor) further in the future.</p>

<p>Oh, the spring and sunlight, makes me do funny things. Now I just "need" the new 35/1.8, and something wider like Tokina 11-16, and maybe a new fast tele, and... ;)</p><div>00SpQ0-118351584.jpg.d9e5f5279db9de2ab1011728698e21a0.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for your comments and sharing my enthusiasm! :)</p>

<p>The D50 was/is absolutely the best choice for me for "knockabout" camera. Sure the D40/60 would have been even smaller, but the ability to focus with older AF lenses was the key factor for me. And then again, I use D40's and D60's in my work (teaching kids and youth the basic basics of photography as part of media education project I'm leading) and they are just a bit too small for my hands.</p>

<p>To be honest, there was a catch in this great deal I got for the D50, the built-in flash has blown out, but then again, I'm very much into available light photography (read: I have not mastered the flash photgraphy yet), and have the small SB-400 to use when I need the flash, so I really don't need the built in flash. And the relatively small amount of noise for old camera like D50 in ISO 800 pics just keeps amazing me, 6mp is plenty and the smaller pixel density really does wonders for low light photography.</p>

<p>But just for the sake of argument: does anybody have any idea of how much the repair for the built-in flash would cost, and is it possible to fix it myself?</p>