2nd Shooter and assistants

sean_rolsen

<p>Hi.<br>

Can someone help me determine what might be the best way to dertermine rates for a second shooter and also for an assistant/grip? How much will demographics affect fees? Thanks for any help. I hope I posted this is the right category.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Sean</p>

<p>It varies. Depending on what you desire and what the client is willing to pay for. I have an associate photographer who has 30 plus years in the wedding business and she receives a fair amount per hour. We do very well together. She knows my strengths and I know hers. We work as a team but yet we operate independent of each other. Clients like how each of us tells the wedding story with our cameras.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It depends on demographics but also what caliber of second shooter you want to have working with you. I pay my second photographer's $500 which is acceptable to them and I get consistent quality work from people tha have excellent skills both in photography and working with people and have backup equipment. I know I could pay less and still get photographers but I would end up paying more at the back end of the process.</p>

<p>Assistants I pay by the hour and they are not paid to take pictures but to support me during the day and enable me to get more images.</p>

<p><em><strong>"the best way to determine rates for a second shooter and also for an assistant/grip?"</strong></em><br>

<br>

After sampling their wares and establishing their experience (i.e. actually checking their references) negotiate a fee, for a one off engagement.<br>

<br>

In that negotiation, emphasize the value to them (the employee) of the fact that you (the employer) is using the first session, partly an establishment of the fees ongoing - that is of course if you are considering an ongoing range of work.<br>

<br>

With this in mind I suggest negotiating lower, with the view to pay higher, when the employee is field proven. <br>

<br>

I have found in my area: if one counts the recent door knocks and the emails, negotiation might not even be necessary, and the act of proving one's worth, might be well understood. <br>

<br>

Additionally if one believes the numerous posts on this Forum, there might be many looking for work, in your area. <br>

<br>

WW</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Sean,<br>

What area are you in? I'm in Manhattan and am a part-time photography student looking to get some experience shooting weddings. If you are in the area and need any assistance, I am offering my services for free in order to learn from an experienced wedding photographer.<br>

My portfolio is below. If you or anyone else you know would like a second shooter who is eager to learn and uses professional Canon equipment, I would love the chance!<br>

<a href="http://www.jennydarina.com">www.jennydarina.com</a></p>