OM-2n mirror lock-up problem

<p>I've recently been shooting with an Olympus OM-2n again. Works great except one little thing.<br /> Sometimes, the mirror locks-up after pressing the shutter button. Shutter doesn't seem to open (although I'm not sure). If I advance the film (which is possible!), the camera takes a picture (I'm sure I hear the shutter this time) and the mirror comes down. Another film advance is needed and I can take another shot.<br /> It only happens after not using the camera for at least a couple of hours. Only on the first shot: after the problem is solved it will not return during the next shots.<br /> However, the problem does not always occur, quite often also the first shot is without any problems.</p>

<p>Battery is new and of the silveroxide type. Battery check yields a nicely burning LED.<br>

Turning the lever to the check-reset position doesn't do a thing.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply.<br>

I just checked the mirror and the foam. The foam actually still looks quite good, but there was a smear of something on the mirror itself. I thus very carefully cleaned the mirror with a wet q-tip, which removed the dirt without doing anything bad to the mirror surface.<br>

This morning the camera fired fine after 12 hours of rest...hopefully this helped, otherwise I'll have the foam replaced.</p>

<p>I've seen the zuiko.com website. But as I'm in the Netherlands, it's not that easy to arrange...(shipping/customs etc.)</p>

<p>I did some more testing...<br>

It is not the mirror locking up, but the shutter "locking" open. Both in Auto as well as in Manual, on the first shot after some time without using the camera. The shutter will stay open (much) longer than it should (up to seconds): if I remove the lens I can see the film itself. Waiting for a few seconds will do the trick. After the first shot, it will not happen again, shutter speed seems to be correct according to the set speed after the first shot.<br>

Strange thing is that I can advance the film during this shutter-locking...making the 18%-grey-patterned "shuttercurtain" visible.<br>

Any help is appreciated.</p>

<p>Setting it to B indeed releases the shutter....</p>

<p>Does someone know a DIY solution?<br>

Just got a quote by email from a local repair company. They charge 225 euros for an overhaul. Knowing that a 2nd hand body costs just 10-15% of that overhere...it's hard to justify the cost and I may just buy another body...</p>

<p>I'm sorry I can't offer a solution. If you do buy another OM-2N body, though, I'd suggest keeping the camera you have now for parts -- after all, Olympus isn't making more of them. Remember, the entire camera isn't defective, just maybe a part or two. The rest can make great salvage at some later date. Please recycle!</p>

<p>Thanks Daniel!<br>

I just found an "OM Doctor" in Germany which charges reasonable prices for overhauls/repairs (similar to zuiko.com), so I think I will have my OM-2N checked&repaired by him.<br>

Maybe I still get a second body, if only for the parts :) A not fully functioning one can be had for 10-20 euros....which is quite cheap for a lot of parts in a nice metal box ;)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...