prime lens for canon 5D mark 2

yolanda_satter

<p>The 85mm f1.8 is a great lens for the 5D--one of the best non-L lenses Canon makes, IMHO. I think you mean 35mm f2? It is either that or the 35mm f1.4L. Of the two, the latter is, of course, better built and better optics. Huge price difference though, and the 35mm f2 is no slouch in the optics department, given the fact that it isn't an L lens.</p>

<p>Any of Canon L primes will be amazing on the 5D MKII. The 85 1.8 & 50 1.4, while not L are still great lenses.<br>

If I were using that camera, I'd be using the 24 1.4L, 35 1.4L and 50 1.2L..Also I used to shoot a lot with the 135 2.0L which may be the best of them all!<br>

The cool thing though about the MKII is that you can use the L zooms and shoot great video. There are a lot of good things to say about that camera, but I no longer shoot with Canon gear so I will not be trying it out.<br>

Have fun with the new camera!</p>

<p>35/1.4 is not a portrait lens but will give you a great wider perspective and the glass is wonderful. The 35/2 is not so great but still decent.</p>

<p>The 85/1.8 is a great lens, close to the optics of the 1.2 flavor but lacking the faster ap. If there is not real need for the 1.2 aperture, then the 1.8 is plenty.</p>

<p>Other than that, I use the 24 as my main prime on the 5D2 but am using both less and less these days.</p>

<p>A fast prime can't be redundant against a slower zoom unless only talking about focal length. Up to you whether it makes sense for you to get the same focal lengths but in a faster prime. Analyze how you'd use them. The money isn't wasted if they will fulfill your needs. For instance, both the 50mm and 85mm have nice, wide apertures but they are two different focal lengths.</p>

<p>For what you are photographing a perfect lens would be the 24-105mm f4 IS L lens. The 85mm would be my third choice for portraits for people where longer is better. In a prime for a FF camera my choices in primes would be between a 105mm f2.8 and a 135mm f2 lens. But in most situations the 70-200mm IS is a more versatile lens, especially with a full frame camera. Max aperture of f4 is not a problem for portraits or even for a Quinceanera where the lighting is usually quite good.<br>

<br /> Many people have shot with the 35mm to great effect, especially when using APC-C or APS-H sensor equipped cameras where it becomes a "normal" perspective lens.<br>

But for portrait photography and event photography where you mention only having the 50mm lens you are in need of more options than a prime can provide.</p>