21 March - Descanso Gardens - Los Angeles, CA Area

bill_taylor2

<p>My goal was to set something up for all Photo.net photographers with any interest to all show up on the same day in the same place. We all shoot, ask questions, get answers, chat, and generally get the photo geek on in a nice place.<br>

I spoke with a manager at Descanso Gardens about a group of photographers showing up. He was OK with it, but they have concerns.<br /> <br /> A. No models! The garden is there for the nature of it. Getting the flowers, shrubbery, trees etc is all fine. NO model shooting.<br>

B. No reflectors or extraneous lighting. They don't want to see big reflector panels being manhandled around. Tiny handhelds might be OK. The big thing is No Blocking the Paths.<br>

C. Tripods and Bags OK, but again Don't Block the Paths. We do not get exclusive access to the park, so other people will want to come and go around us.<br /> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<br /> There are other Official Rules too.<br /> 1. Professional Photographers will be charged a fee. Please check in at the Rentals Office to obtain Photography Guidelines for professional photographers.<br /> 2. Some areas of the Gardens are not available for non-professional tripod photography, painting and drawing, or group activities<br /> 3. Benches may not be used as easels or to hold equipment.<br /> 4. All Gardens-sponsored activities, such as classes, filming, docent tours, landscape and maintenance projects, will have priority. You may be asked to relocate your activities.<br /> 5. No activities are permitted that may disturb or limit the experience of other Gardens visitors.<br /> 6. Please keep the grounds clean. Remember to pick up all trash ans do not dump any material, including paint water, on the ground or in water features.<br /> 7. No food is permitted inside the Gardens. A picnic area is available out side the Gardens and you may eat food purchased at our Cafe in the Cafe Coiurtyard.<br /> =-=-=-=-=-=-==-=<br /> As you can see, they are sensitive to Professional Photographers and Painters, and to clutter and blocking the park to all users. We are not classed as pros, but the tripods and lighting was the concern. They charge the pros extra, and they need permits on days and times of usage. Assuming we don't all show up with a van full of equipment, they won't freak out.<br>

So with all of that in mind, I propose 10am at the front gate of Descanso Gardens in LaCanada (Highway 2 (Angeles Crest Hwy) at I-210). Pretty much just walk up to the gate, pay the fee, and walk in. Parking is free. If they ask, tell them you are there with the Photo.net group. Hopefully they won't care or look at you funny.<br>

If you think you might want to go, Please say so here by Friday. I need to warn them about numbers on Friday afternoon.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The latest forecast says moderate warm and partly cloudy through most of the day, with a chance of rain in the afternoon. </p>

<p><a href="http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=91011&hourly=1&yday=79&weekday=Saturday">La Canada, CA</a></p>

<p>A little spring shower won't be too bad people! Get out and make some images with your compadres!</p>