Status of the Hasselblad V system

benjamin_kim

<p>Hi, I have been following the various threads here and was just wondering if anyone knew the current status of the Hasselblad V system. Is it still alive and kicking with a good following or is it dying a slow death? While Hasselblad's website still states that it is available, I am beginning to see more and more people saying that the V system is at its end. While I know that there are tons of used gear out there, how viable would it be to continue upgrading bodies and lenses considering continued support by Hasselblad with regard to parts, especially for the 200 series cameras which have long been discontinued? Would anyone also know if there are compatibility issues with newer digital backs on these cameras? I do not foresee myself owning a MF digital back but it's good to know that they will work should the prices ever become affordable to the amateur. Thank you for your thoughts and comments.</p>

<p>Benjamin<br>

There are plenty of people willing to talk the V series down. It is still a great system for anyone who wants to use film and digital backs. All the modern digital backs work without any probems and there are so many cameras in use it is unlikely that any of the major manufacturers would currently consider making a back that didn't work with them.<br>

The 200 series has not been 'long discountinued' it has only been a couple of years which in V series terms is nothing. Lots of parts are still available.<br>

I think you are worrying about nothing with the possible upgrade to digital if you get to the stage of being able to afford a digital back buying another camera will only be a small proportion of the price. A couple of years ago Hasselblad offered a digital back for the V series that effectively came with a free camera.<br>

Whilst we can all speculate about the future the only answer from anyone who actually has any idea about the future of the V series is Hasselblad itself who currently say that it is supported and will continue as long as there is demand for it. So nobody on this forum can give you an answer more definate than Hasselblad themselves.<br>

If there is a camera and lens combination that you want now and can afford the go for it, they are great cameras and if you always wait for something better to come along you won't be taking any pictures at all.</p>

<p>My guess is the V system will be in use and serviceable long after the H3D is no longer around and not being serviced by Hasselblad, or by anybody else for that matter, when they have moved to the H6D or whatever. Hasselblad has great history for compatibility in their V system, but not nearly as good in their H system. And the amount of second hand gear available for V is mind boggling. Enough to last for one lifetime at least. Anything electronic is hard to fix when technology moves along and parts are no longer available. Mechanical parts wear out but never become obsolete. A good mechanic can always salvage parts from another body or lens, or custom make some specific part.</p>

<p>Hi Benjamin,<br>

I would have to agree with the other two replies. You have nothing to worry about during your life time. My 503 cx is from the 1980s. I don't think that you will find many digital cameras still being used 20 years later and I doubt that anyone will bother to repair them. The V series is pretty much all mechanical. Parts can be manufactured or taken from other bodies. The amount of used gear on the market is incredible and prices can't be beat. I'll never give up my 503.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Just last week I shot a roll with my Hasselblad Super Wide (not the SWC but the generation before) from 1956 and the pictures are sharp corner to corner with good contrast and I shot them at either f/4.5 or f/5.6! The film back was from 1955 and there is no light leak or spacing problems. I have no doubt with regular use this camera will outlast me. </p>

• 2 years later...
<p>I think the V system will outlast the mechanics capable of servicing them. here in Finland we have a couple guys that are going to pension in a few years. They have still parts and knowledge. but what will happen after them? Nowdays, for example Zeiss has transferred all parts for the lenses to Gothenburg and do not do any service on hasselblad lenses. Already now the service price for hasselblad lenses are ridiculous. You can buy a replacement from used market for that money...</p>