CF card corrupted (files renamed in-camera)

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

I have a Toshiba 1 gig CF card, Nikon D70. At some point while shooting I could no longer review the images on my lcd - I instead got the error message "file does not contain image data." Now, in windows explorer, I can see that all the files have been renamed (most having squares replace zeroes, others having "DSC" become "DsC" and some have both. It seems like 2/3 of the images show their original file size (approx. 5 MB) while 1/3 show 517 MB (!).<br>

When I try to import the photos in Adobe Lightroom, it tells me no photos were found to import.<br>

When I try to mess with the photos in windows explorer (copy to hard drive, etc.) I get the error message "The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name."<br>

Should I first try a data recovery software? If so, any suggestions?<br>

Any guesses as to if it's a card or camera problem?<br>

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>UPDATE: I eventually found a few threads here that addressed this same problem. Using ZAR (zero assumption recovery) I was able to recover all of the files, only now they are in TIFF format instead of RAW. I'm still going to try and see if I can recover the RAW files, but I'll take TIFFs over nothing!</p>

<p>-- "I was able to recover all of the files, only now they are in TIFF format instead of RAW."</p>

<p>Since a file recovery tools is not a raw converter, it is most likely, that it simply has chosen the wrong fileextension. Rename them to NEF for a test and see if your raw converter can open them correctly.</p>