Will D700 Retire D200?

jeffrey_prokopowicz

<p>Isn't this more of a comparison of Apples and Oranges. I would think the better question is will the D300 retire the D300, or will the FX sensor retire the DX sensor. D700 is a different beast in terms of being full frame. It will not retire the Dx sensor if you believe what Nikon has to say. It does, put us cost concious consumers under pressure in terms of buying DX only lenses, especically in the wider ranges. However the 17-35, the fixed lengths and the 70-200 and other longer lenses work on both and are quality lenses. So the answer is, no the D700 won't, but the D300 might, or whatever comes after it. Unless you think Dx will kill Fx. Don't think it will, because in many applications on the long end of the focal world, the Dx gives you an advantage in reach, though an argument can be made that Fx will have a higher quality image. But for PJ work, the quality is quite good with these Dx cameras.</p>

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"The D200 isn't all that different from the D300. Also, the D200 is a MUCH better companion to a D700 than a D80 is. The D200 and D700 share; batteries, CF cards, ergonomics/controls, and the menus are pretty similar too.<br /><br />If I were you (trust me, I wish I could afford a D700) I would keep my D200 and ditch my D80."<br>

Geez, that was almost exactly what i was going to type. I agree. The D200 is the one to keep, if the decision is that or the D80. I might add, the D200 has the lense compatability with the D700, a similar ais input into the menu, and it is commonly held that the metering on the D200 is very consistent (compared to the D80).</p>