Which Lenses to keep for Canon Bodies

jeffrey_modesto

<p>Hi I have a Canon 40D and Canon Mk II. My lenses that I used are Tokina 80-200mm F2.8, Ef 24-105 IS usm, Tamron 18-250mm, Sigma 28-300mm, Canon Ef 90-300mm, Sigma 17-35mm Ex , Sigma 24-70 Ex Asp. I mostly shoot street photography and outdoor portrait as hobbies and I dont know which ones I should get rid of or maybe I need to upgrade new lenses.. - Jeff (HongKong)</p>

<p>As Kelly said, figure out which ones you rarely use, and weed them out.</p>

<p>If you do street and portrait work? For the MkII (5D or 1D? but full-frame? ) you could use a nice 85mm prime lens, and a plastic fantastic (50mm f/1.8 II) for the 40D. Your longer zooms should cover the rest, but you've got overlap on a lot of these lenses.</p>

<p>Lose the super-zooms, get rid of the Canon EF 90-300 and the SigMas. Replace the Tokina with one to three primes (e.g., any combination from the various 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm 200mm lenses) for portraiture (not recessarily if you like your Tokina and can handle its weight and old-school AF). Get a wide prime for your street photography depending on your budget and needs (the L primes are best, but cost quite a lot and are bigger and heavier than you might like). Your 40D might like a super-wide zoom (i.e., Tokina 11-16 or 12-24, which you can also mount on your Mk II body).<br></p><p><br></p><p>Doing this will give you vastly improved optical image quality plus the faster speeds, AF and less weight of the primes. Once you upgraded your kit, keep away from the consumer zooms and never look back.<br></p>

<p>Thanks For the advice folks, JDM I just got my new 5D MKII actually and yes I was actually considering 50mm f/1.8. . Yeah ...I think I will get rid of Ef 90-300 and the sigmas , as for the Tokina 80-200mm I'm still half and half in decision coz this lens really served me well although heavy.</p>

<p>It depends so much on your style and preferred working distance. For street photography, I like 28, 35 and 50mm best. For portraits, I like 50 and 85mm best, and occasionally 135mm. Of the lenses you mentioned, I would probably keep the 17-35, 24-105 and 80-200. A 50mm is always great.</p>