Which zoom lens should I get for my 5D?

simon_t__ireland_

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

I am in the process of buying a used Canon 5D. I am new to this camp, as I have just moved from the 4/3 system. I have a huge range of MF lenses which I intend to use with this camera. Please see here:<br>

http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ShPX<br>

What budget zoom lens should I get to cover the focal length of 28-120mm (it does not have to be inclusive within this range)? At the moment, I am thinking about getting the Canon 50mm/f1.8 EF as a starter.<br>

Thanks,<br>

Simon</p>

<p>I second the suggestion for the 24-105. Perhaps a bit too expensive fr your budget, but once you have it, you won't regret it. Otherwise I also like my 28-105 3.5-4.5 for when I want to travel really light. But there are countless other options, but with if you have an EOS 5D I wouldn't opt for a cheaper and thus lower quality lens. You'll want the best you can afford.</p>

<p>I think the main candidates are all already mentioned. And I personally decided for the 24-105/4L after I bought a used 5D.</p>

<p>Just to add some more options:</p>

<p>Tamron 28-75/2.8 ... not exactly the range you want, but a constant f/2.8<br>

Canon EF 24-85/3.5-4.5 ... I used this before I got the 24-105 ... I really liked the low weight and the 24mm end (rather than 28mm).<br>

Tamron 24-135/3.5-5.6 ... very useful range ... needs to be stopped down one stop.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Another vote for the 24-105mm. If you buy it used you may be able to get it a little more reasonably priced, since it is/was sold new as a kit with the 5D series for only about $800 or so. Some of these near-new lenses have found their way into the market.</p>

<p>If you want to go really cheap, there are a whole string of 20-something to 90 to 135something mm EF zooms that go back to the early days of the EOS family. These are decent, if not outstanding, lenses and are available on eBay very inexpensively.</p>