NiMH batteries for the Nikon F4

jj_falkowski

<p>I've been using Sony CycleEnergy NiMH batteries with the F4. No problems at all. These Sony batteries, as well as the Sanyo Eneloops, use newer technology to prevent the batteries from quickly discharging over time. I understand previous generation NiMH batteries didn't gave good enough performance on older film cameras such as the F4, since the current/voltage (don't remember exactly which one) would drop below the camera's minimum requirement quicker when compared to alkalines, thus causing the camera to lock up. <br>

As for performance, your mileage may vary, but alkalines used to last longer in my experience. At the very least you help the environment by polluting less. And they charge up rather quickly.</p>

<p>JJ -<br>

Use 'em every day. Just as mentioned, do get the Sony CycleEnergy, MAHA Imedions or the Sanyo Eneloops. Any of those hold onto their charge in slack periods , or in storage so you still have a charged battery (months not days) down the road when you want one quickly. The original NiMH batteries self-discharged in a few days to a couple of weeks.</p>

<p>Also use 'em in my SB-600's.</p>

<p>Jim</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Well, I have never had any success using rechargeable NiMH batteries in my F4S. I have tried several brands and charged them fully before installation. But, no joy. My camera won't even turn on with them. It works perfectly with alkaline disposables. I figure it has to do with the lower voltage of the NiMH batteries (1.2 V vs 1.6 for alkalines). Anyway, I can use rechargeables in my flashes, but I haven't been able to use them in my F4S (with either MB-20 or MB-21). Maybe I'll try the Sony's.</p>