Trouble getting Nikon D300 to trigger SB 800 with PC to PC sync

laura_cooke

<p>I know that it is possible to trigger the SB 800 with the built in flash, but want to trigger it with a pc to pc sync cord using the Nikon D300.<br>

Is there a setting that I am missing that would result in the flash not firing?<br>

Please help!<br>

Thanks</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Laura I have had the same problem with my D300 and SB800. I have 4 SB800's and I don’t believe it happens with all of them but I haven’t kept track to know for sure. I think it is on the flash end and not the D300 end. I actually dislike the PC connection and wish there was a bit more resistance when plugging it in. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had problems.<br>

<br>

Jeff</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I wonder?<br>

After the Sb800 eventually started working, I set up my SB 600 as a slave. It worked fine with the test , but would not fire when I actually took the photo.<br>

Jeff, Is this a problem that you have also had? Here again, I am wondering if there is a specific setting that I should have?</p>

<p>Laura,<br>

No settings I'm sure of that. You say it happened with the SB600 as well? I only say I think it is the flash because it happens when I have the flash on a light stand using a trigger as well. I am going to do some research on my other forums and I will reply back to you when I come up with something. It is an issue that has bothered me because I can’t be worrying about an SB not firing when I am in the middle of a shoot. <br>

Jeff</p>

<p>i assume you have the SB600 configured using the default settings for group/channel? that would be group A, channel 3. when setting up the built-in flash, put it in commander mode, with the commander in TTL, group A in TTL and channel 3. i just worked it out myself this past weekend, and the SB600 never fails to fire as an off-camera slave.</p>

<p>I suspect there is some illegal mode-mixing going on here. :)<br>

SB-800 has three main modes.<br>

1. Remote mode, remote TTL controlled only by camera internal flash Commander menu<br>

2. PC sync cord, which REQUIRES manual mode at the flash. No TTL.<br>

3. SU-4 mode, optically triggered slave flash in manual mode, triggered by another manual flash.</p>

<p>Facts: <br>

SB-600 when off camera only has 1 above, does not have 2 or 3 above.<br>

Cannot mix manual mode with commander mode.<br>

SB-800 PC sync connnector (and hot foot) are dead (disabled) if in Remote mode. No mixing.<br>

D300/D200 PC sync connector is dead (disabled) if internal flash door is open. (No mixing).<br>

If using Commander, then you cannot use a manual flash, cannot use the PC sync cord, cannot use a hand held flash meter. I make the distinction between a manual power level in the commander, which is still Commander mode, as opposed to any Manual mode set at the flash, which is incompatible with Commander mode.<br>

It is not clear what was tried here, but if you confine all activity to the Commander/Remote mode, or confine all activity to pure Manual mode in all involved gear, then either will work great. However, mixing modes is doomed, as this is two VERY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS IN EVERY RESPECT. Pick one system and go with it, then no issues.</p>

<p>Thanks Wayne,<br>

I think I may be getting to the cause of the trouble, and have a feeling that I am not going to be able to achieve what I wanted to do :( (I.e set up 2 flashes off camera, SB 800, SB 600 and sync connector)<br>

So I take it that the SB 600 can only work off camera in remote mode? (The SB 800 would therefore have to be on camera or be triggered by a more sophisticated system?)<br>

But, with the SB800 in commander mode connected to the D300 via a sync connector, why would the SB600 flash fire when pressing the test button?But not when taking the photograph?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, the SB-800 Commander must be on the hot shoe (or on a hot shoe extension cord, like the SC-28) to receive its signals from the camera (the four pins on the hot shoe). Commander cannot work from the single pin PC sync cord. <br>

But... you can put it into commander mode anyway, even if it can never receive its input from the camera that way. And when you press the Test button, it imagines it is still commander, and it does tells the remotes to flash their Test flash. But regular camera operated commander mode cannot work on a PC sync cable. PC Sync is ONLY manual mode, no commander, no TTL.<br>

The SB-600 remote only works from wireless commander signals... which might include the commanders test button, but not from regular manual mode flashes.<br>

You must make the choice, if you are going to use the Commander system, or if you are going to use a real true Manual system. When all parts match, it will work great. The SB-600 wont be much help in a remote Manual system, but will work great with the commander.</p>

<p>You have the D300 which can be commander. You have the SB-800 and the SB-600, each of which can be wireless remotes, main and fill in groups A and B. So (tongue in cheek) what is the issue? Just use what you already have. It will be great.</p>

<p>See http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/FastTrack_To_WrelessSpeedlights.pdf<br>

which is a Nikon guide with setup instruction.</p>

<p> </p>