Amazing repair?

paul_ingram

<p>A few weeks ago I foolishy tried to scoop up a rolling foul ball in a HS softball game and allowed my 20D with EF-S 10-22 lens to swing around and hit the ground. The lens exploded near the camera body, breaking in two pieces with metal rings rolling around and the electronics tape sheared. The glass elements were all intact in the front half, but there seemed to be a lot of messy breakage. Canon said to send it back, and after about ten days it is now being returned, repaired, for $105. This is a $650 lens. I would have thought the collection of parts would have been that much. If they actually repaired it for that price, well, Thanks, Canon!</p>

<p>I had something similar happen to me a few years ago with the same lens. It was mounted on a RRS pano setup attached to a tripod. I had just completed a 360 degree pano & was disassembling everything. Just then a big gust of wind shot up the canyon, upending the tripod, camera, 10-22mm lens & rolling everything backwards. The lens burst apart into 3 pieces, shearing the electronics tape. I carefully gathered everything up & sent the lens into Canon (Riverside repair). The total cost was a little under $100, including shipping. The lens itself is still like new. As in I can't find a scratch or mark on it anywhere. It focuses perfectly. I can't say the same for the lens hood which is a bit scuffed. (The camera, a 20D, was fine too, thanks to the way it was mounted on the pano rail which absorbed a great deal of the blow as it hit the ground).</p>

<p><em>...repaired, for $105. This is a $650 lens. I would have thought the collection of parts would have been that much.</em></p>

<p>It's a $650 lens, but maybe it's only worth $350? Maybe it costs $75 to manufacture? Or Canon charges too much for that lens? (I'm not bashing that lens, I want one too)</p>