Hakuba Carbon Fiber series

chughtai

<p>Hi,<br /> <br /> I am looking for Carbon Fiber tripods and frankly speaking don't want to pay the premium price just because of the brand name, say Gitzo or Manfrotto, etc. After searching for a while, I found few alternatives (<em>Slik, Brunton, Davis & Sanford</em> ) but didn't get any positive reviews. I stumble upon <a href="http://www.hakubausa.com/csite/c_products3.asp?cc=10&cs=110" target="_blank">Hakuba</a> and the two carbon fiber models in question are <strong>HG-503MX</strong> and <strong>HG-504MX</strong> .<br /> <br /> The problem, or here the question is, I couldn't find any reviews of HG-503MX or 504MX anywhere on <em>interweb </em> and I did google'd the cr*p out of Hakuba. :( <br /> <br /> Any Hakuba users here? Mind shedding some light on the performance/value of Hakuba carbon fiber tripods? If possible a comparison with more mainstream tripods, likes of Gitzo, etc, will be really helpful.<br /> <br /> Any words, thoughts, opinions…?<br /> <br /> Much appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks RA, i was under the same impression but Velbon and Hakuba are different lines, though same <a href="http://www.hakubausa.com/csite/c_company.asp">parent company</a> . Also, you could find Hakuba tripods on <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+High+to+Low&bl=&atl=&pn=1&st=categoryNavigation&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=5374&bhs=t&shs=&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=5374&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=">B&H</a> , <a href="http://www.adorama.com/HAHG503MX.html">Adorma</a> and <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Hakuba-Carbon-Fiber-HG-503MX-Tripod/dp/B0000BZ4VW/">Amazon</a> along with Velbon models that are also mentioned on Hakuba website separately.</p>

<p>I suggest you trying find local photo stores that carries tripods and do comparisons. Those high prices on Gitzo and other premiun brand tripods are not solely due to their brand names status. I have personally played with those Hakuba tripods in photo stores and I wouldn't pay half of their sale prices. </p>

<p>I have owned the 3-section Hakuba for four or five years. I bought it because I wanted a very lightweight tripod that I could carry comfortably on a backpack. I've used it in snow, rain, sand, mud, rivers, etc. and never had a problem. I recall a review of the Hakuba on Thom Hogan's website. The gist of Hogan's review was that you should avoid buying cheap tripods (and ballheads) that you will soon find inadequate. His recommendation was to buy a Gitzo, or a Hakuba if you don't need to support big lenses. The heaviest set-up I've used on the Hakuba is a D2X with 80-200 f/2.8 and I've been quite satisfied.</p>

<p>Adam -- any specific negative points?<br>

John -- I checked the ByThom website before posting the question here but there wasn't much information; Which model did you own? I am actually planning to use in snow (-25C and lower) and tropical rain forests.</p>

<p>I am in Ireland and none of the local stores have Hakuba, i have seen Manfrotto and Gitzo here but want to do my full research before buying the carbon fiber tripod. That's why trying to find as much information as i can about Hakuba since it's considered to be a <em>Hidden Gem</em> , if that's true.</p>

<p>I won't be using it with really long lenses, the two extremes i am planning is EF 16-35L II and EF 100-400L (and may be a MP-E 65 macro in future).</p>

<p>The negatives on the Hakuba tripods from my own perspective and using current Gitzo CF tripods as reference are the followings. 1) relatively heavy tripod for CF one 2) Very weak center post locking mechanism 3) Poorly designed spyder and upper leg hinges allowing too much play 4) Leg locking collars not as strong and easy to use compared to Gitzo GT locks 5) Overall fit and finish are a couple notches below Gitzo standard.<br>

The only lower price CF tripod alternative I would consider is a Feisol tripod. I have not tried them but they seem to be better built.</p>

<p>Hameed, I have a Hakuba HG-6230C. I don't know how that compares to the current model numbers. I went to Thom Hogan's web site and he now seems to recommend the model number you mention. I think his website used to recommend the model I have. I don't know what sort of tripod Adam has been looking at since the one I have doesn't have the problems he mentions. Specifically, it is lighter than the Gitzo of comparable height that I looked at (because the diameter of the legs is slightly less, which is likely why it is rated for less carrying weight). I haven't had any weakness or problems with either the center column mechanism or the leg hinges--both still feel tight and solid. The leg locking collars don't feel as strong as a Gitzo, but all I can say is that they have never caused me a problem even when used in adverse conditions.</p>

<p>Hakuba HG-6230C weights 3.49lb vs Gitzo GT2531 3.0lb or Gitzo GT1531 2.5lb (it is smaller but just as tall and it is firmer IMHO). As for the other weakneses (not problems as you stated), you will just need to compare your Hakuba with either Gitzo GT-2531 or GT-1531 to appreciate the differences.</p>

<p>Adam, Yes, I just looked at the specs for the current Gitzo tripods that you mention, which seem to be lighter than what I recall as available from Gitzo when I was last doing comparisons. The GT 1531 is very light and is essentially the same height as my Hakuba. Were I buying today, I would have to seriously consider it. I have no doubt of the quality of Gitzos. However, I have no regrets as to the Hakuba, which has given me years of good service for a bargain price. That is the real test, of course.</p>

<p>thanks all for the critique and feed back!</p>

<p>John, couple of quick questions though, any words around vibrations (<em>when fully extended</em> ) especially around outdoor rocky/sandy places? which (<em>ball</em> ) head you were/are using with Hakuba? i am assuming there are no compatability issues with RRS/Markin/etc.</p>

<p>Hi Hameed, <br>

I haven't noted vibration problems particularly. If you were to use the long center column and extend it fully, so the camera was in effect on a monopod rather than a tripod, I think you would have the possibility of some vibration. I only extend the center column as a last resort. With the center column down but the legs fully extended, the tripod seems very stable and not prone to vibration. Of course, good technique is important in any situation, as well as the need to use common sense--if you are photographing in high winds or with the tripod in moving water (both of which I have done often enough) then you have to be prepared to hold onto the tripod and do everything possible to keep things steady.</p>

<p>I use the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead with the Hakuba. I was interested in finding a very lightweight but sturdy solution, and the Acratech meets that need. The Acratech is an unusual design, which some people don't like but I find it works quite well once you are familiar with it. I think the Hakuba will accept any standard ballhead. My tripod came with a 3-way pan head which I don't use.</p>