18-55mm Kit Lens VS Tamron 17-50mm lens

chimera_h

<p>Is the main diferrence between these two lenses simply the aperture? I have the18-55mm 3.5 kit lens, but I'm wondering if I should buy the Tamron 2.8 lens. I'm shooting a wedding and will need this for getting ready and reception shots.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I haven't used the Canon but I have the Tamron and love it.<br>

A few obvious differences are the Tamron is a constant f2.8, and the Canon has IS. The mount on the Canon is plastic and the build quality of the Tamron seems to be stronger. <br>

Both lenses have a lot of user reviews on fredmiranda.com with the Tamron rated higher.</p>

<p>Not just 2.8 but constant 2.8, in other words at 50mm the efs is widest at 5.6 the Tamron still 2.8. Most dslr`s take advantage of a 2.8 or faster aperture lens, using the higher precision center AF point. this means more accurate and quicker focus, idea for low light and flash as you have stated doing. The build of the Tamron is much more solid and the quality of the optics much better.Solid metal lens mount. Comes with a lens hood, which I advise leave it un always. have both, while the 18 55 is ok, its pretty basic and capable. I realy don`y have a clue where mine is. If a photo shop nearby at least look at a Tamron first :)</p>

<p><strong><em>"Is the main diferrence between these two lenses simply the aperture?"</em></strong></p>

<p>No.</p>

<p>Firstly, as already mentioned, the Canon kit lens is not an F3.5 lens but it is a <strong><em>varying maximum aperture lens:</em></strong> F3.5 to F5.6.<br />Note also that the maximum apertures available are about:<br />24mm / F4.0<br />30mm / F4.5<br />38mm / F5.0<br />45mm / F5.6</p>

<p>Secondly the EF-S 18 to 55 F3.5 to F5.6 shows abundant CA (Chromatic Aberration) and some loss general IQ, particularly at the edges and at the widest Apertures and especially at the mid to wide end of the zoom.</p>

<p>These are <strong><em>practical sales related IQ and CA</em></strong> – noticeable at 5 x 7 and 10 x 8 enlargements, and not what I refer to as “theoretical IQ”, which pixel-peepers and lab-rats dwell upon and write about.</p>

<p>If you mean you have the EF-S 18 to 55 F3.5 to F5.6 IS, then the IQ is noticeably better, but the CA remains.</p>

<p>Both Canon Kit Lenses are adequate tools: if their limitation are known, and respected they can be used to perform Professional Functions with adequate outcomes; however I would neither use either Kit Lens as the main working zoom in a Wedding Kit, nor for the purposes you outline in your question.</p>

<p>Specifically for the getting ready shots, I often use Available Light: making any zoom lens often inadequate for my purposes, however, YMMV.</p>

<p>I have not used the Tamron Zoom. In this regard I suggest you look at Nadine Ohara’s posts. I believe she uses this lens, and with a Canon body. I have the greatest respect for her objective judgement and I value her opinions highly. She has commented favourably about this Tamron lens, often.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>BTW: you might either drive people crazy, or make others upset, if you continue the practice of posting the same question, in multiple fora.</p>

<p>No need to reiterate the facts; the other respondents have done a nice job with that. So I'll give you my opinion instead.<br>

I have the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and I really like it a lot. It focuses quickly, takes decent shots at f/2.8, performs even better and more sharply at f/3.5. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it vs. the performance of the kit lens, even if it's the IS version. <br>

Now for a bit more of my somewhat unsolicited opinion... have you thought of going to primes instead? I finally got one, the 'fantastic plastic' 50mm f/1.8, and I love it. I blame my wife, as primes are all she's used until I sold her on the idea of a zoom for convenience. I'll be shooting some pictures at my brother in law's wedding this summer (I'm not 'the' photographer...that'll be my wife) and I'm planning on ditching the zooms all together in favor of using my 50 f/1.8, as well as a couple of others I want: the 35mm f/2.0 and the 85mm f/1.8 (or possibly the 100mm f/2.0)</p>