Nikon 20mm f4 and f2.8 - your thoughts please

Ian Rance

<p>I just picked up a mint 20mm f2.8 Ai-s lens (manual focus) for 125 pounds. I already have the f4 version with which I am most pleased, and I was going to re-sell the f2.8 version for a small profit.</p>

<p>However, after reading up on Bjorn's site and others I am not sure if I am amaking a mistake. Is the 2.8 version better than the f4? One must go, but I don't want it to be the wrong one. I know that the CRC mechanism on the 2.8 verison is troublesome, but are there any other concerns? The f2.8 lens was purchaced new around 2005 if that makes a difference.</p>

<p>Your thoughts on both lenses welcomed. Which one should I part with?</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>Ian.... I have twice decided to keep my f/4 over an f/2.8 that came along. Much like my 50mm 1.8D vs my 50mm 1.4D, I found the 20mm f/4 better than the 2.8 in the f/8-f/16 range where I shoot that focal length most. Don't just look at wide open when figuring this out for yourself. </p>

<p>But I have to agree with Dieter: load up a roll and go shoot them both. Fire off some on your dSLR, too. It's not like it you won't enjoy the "testing"! Make notes, since I doubt you'll be able to tell them apart from the slides. ;)</p>

<p>Christiaan,</p>

<p>When I paid for the f2.8 version the other day I had just seen the price for a new one in Grays of Westminster - over 900 pounds! At 125 pounds I just could not leave it. Ah, the 135. I had it reserved and went to look at it again, but did find that it was needing a service as it was stiff to focus and this would add a fair bit to the cost. I really want it, but funds are a bit tight at the mo - that is why I am wanting to sell one of my 20's for a small profit - then if it is still there I can get that 135.</p>

<p>Joe and Dieter, I have run a roll through today, but there is a delay while I get processing (in another town) and I want to act fairly fast because of the 135mm lens I speak of above. Yes, a DSLR test would be nice on this occasion, but I do not own one.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info - all and any thoughts welcome. At this point I think the f4 version will be the one I am keeping though.</p>

<p>Ian</p>

<p>I've compared the 20/3.5 Ai-S to the 20/2.8 Ai-S on the D700. The 20/2.8 has the edge in overall sharpness - especially towards the edge of the full frame sensor.<br>

If you're considering a modern equivalent keep an eye out on the recently announced Voigtlander 20/3.5 Aspherical in Ai-S mount. Should be available in a few weeks for about 10% more than their current 40/58mm lenses.<br>

Roger...</p>

<p>I've compared the 20/3.5 Ai-S to the 20/2.8 Ai-S on the D700. The 20/2.8 has the edge in overall sharpness - especially towards the edge of the full frame sensor.<br>

If you're considering a modern equivalent keep an eye out on the recently announced Voigtlander 20/3.5 Aspherical in Ai-S mount. Should be available in a few weeks for about 10% more than their current 40/58mm lenses.<br>

Roger...</p>