Need a wide angle lens for D300

michelle_evans

<p>I am in the market for a wide angle lens for my D300. I am hoping to not spend too much money since I am just staring out. I looked into the 28mm 2.8, but some say they just hate it. However it is totally inexpensive so it interests me. I wish I could spend a lot for a great lens, but right now I can't. Thanks for any insight!</p>

<p>28mm is not wide on a D300 -- it's equivalent to about 42mm on a full-frame camera. Most people who want a cheaper wide angle tend to opt for the Sigma 10-20, Tokina 12-24 or 11-16, or the new Tamron 10-24. If you want cheaper still, then look for a prime with a focal length under 16 (equivalent to 24mm full-frame).</p>

<p>Michelle... Like the others, I'd suggest a true wide lens. I've been very happy with my 10-20mm Sigma (that David and Jerry mention). I was also happy with my Tokina 12-24 before that. You should be able to find the Sigma for $350-400, and the Tokina for $300-350 (and probably $250 once Tokina's new "AF-S" replacement hits the streets).</p>

<p>Set your 18-55mm at 28mm and you'll see you already have a 28mm f/4.5 lens if you want to see how "un-wide" 28mm is.</p>

<p>Michelle,</p>

<p>28mm is not really a wide angle on a DX format camera.</p>

<p>Try looking for an AiS 20mm f/3.5 - will work on the D300 just fine (like it did on mine) It's an inexpensive lens, easy enough to focus with the D300 viewfinder and is excellent for shooting into the sun directly or into scenes that are strongly back lit. I find the 20mm f/3.5 on FX (D700) to have darker corners but on the D300 the corners do not become an issue. It has some very minor residual CA artifacts on the edges of the frame but these are hardly worth noting and can be toned out with photo editing. The 20mm f/3.5 is not a top flite Nikkor pro lens, nor is it a paper weight, I keep mine as a light weight travel alternative to a heavier zoom I have and for shooting sunsets etc.</p>

<p>I think purchased my lens online (usual auction site) for approx. US$130 plus shipping.</p>

<p>How wide do you want the lens to be and what qualities do you want from it? By qualities I mean things like price, size, performance, auto focus, zoom. Do you really need something wider than the 18 mm you already have, or do you merely want to increase quality?</p>