Change in Toyo purchase and why the *$#@! are lens hoods so expensive??

musings

<p>I know in my previous post I was looking at the Toyo 45CF, but I came across a ridiculous deal for a Toyo CX with lens board, W/A bag bellows, and Graphex 90mm f/6.8-32 lens for $200. The condition of the equipment is *excellent* -- like new. I know I sacrificied a lot in portability since the CX is not a folder, but the price point on the CX was too good to pass up. </p>

<p>Now it's time to get the other parts of the package that I need: namely film backs, focusing cloths/loupes, and compendium lens hoods. The prices on the first two are reasonable (especially used), but I am still in shock from the price of the lens hood. Why on God's green earth are these lens hoods so expensive? Since I will be using the Toyo CX outside for landscape/vista shots, I will most certainly need a hood to keep the lens flare down, but I am having a hard time understanding why some of these hoods run $200+. A lens hood is not rocket science and the material is pretty straightforward, so I am having a hard time getting my head around this.</p>

<p>Any input and suggestions on how to get a reasonably priced lens hood for the 90mm? Maybe I am not looking in the right places or am not looking at the right manufacturers. Forget Linhof, btw...crikey, they are expensive...</p>

<p>They're expensive because they can be. Manufacturers assume that you'll have to buy the hood, so they charge exorbinant prices for them. Some of the hood for 35mm teles can run $650. I'll second the rubber hood, or for even cheaper, you can gaffer tape a black contstruction paper cone around the lens. Even the fancy B+W metal hoods (that screw into the filter threads) tend to be cheaper than OEM hoods.</p>

<p>My usual lens hood is the dark slide for the film I'm exposing. Usually works great. But I got caught recently while using a 65mm and pointing a little too close the sun. The exposure looks great, the framing of the subject is near perfect. But in the upper left corner is a lovely image of my shirt cuff, wristwatch, hand, and dark slide.<br>

No flare though. :-)</p>

<p>When you are ready to make the exposure; pull out the dark slide, hold it to shade the lens, trip the shutter, replace the slide. You will see the shadow of the dark slide on the lens so you will know when it is just right. Don't move the slide any more into the scene than you need to produce a shadow covering the front glass on the lens. If the slide is in the picture then you are out of luck. Try recomposing.</p>

<p>Hi Jeff!<br>

Another alternative may be found here:<br>

<a href="http://www.lenshoods.co.uk">www.lenshoods.co.uk</a><br>

At the right price (free!), and delivered within minutes, it has been the source for my arsenal of lens hoods, many of which work *very* well for archaic and/or obscure lenses. Most of mine are made from black neoprene, which makes them lightweight and collapsible (ideal for stuffing into a travel bag).<br>

If no existing hood can be "crossed" to match your lens, it is possible to request one on the site, or to scale your print to match the lens dimensions.<br>

Thought it worth the mention...<br>

Good luck!<br />Darin</p>