Cheapest possible scanner for 120 film

<p>Hello, <br>

I'm going to be assembling a presentation book, approx. 8"X8" of architecture shot on 6X6 film.<br>

I need only a reasonably good scan, from which to layout the book. I'm aware of the Epson 700 but even that quality is not necessary for this preliminary stage.<br>

Are there any of the cheap, $100-$150 scanners that can take MF film holder that are designed to at least provide a scan that will look good at the 8X8 (or so) size?<br>

Thanks, Bob</p>

<p>I just got a V500 a few weeks ago, refurbished, for $150, from Epson's "clearance center"--easy to find on the web if you like. It's a big improvement on my old Epson and a heck of a bargain at the price. I haven't made any prints from 6x6 yet but casual snapshots for the album from 6x6 come out great. I scanned a few 35mm slides last week and sent them off for 11x14" prints, and they came out pretty well. FWIW.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Well, it's been a few months since this question was asked, but I'm thinking I should add a comment here. Yes, the 4490 is an excellent choice, but if you're on a really tight budget, you can find an excellent scanner for medium format on the used market that typically goes for much less -- the Epson Perfection 3170. I own one, and I've scanned lots of medium format negatives and slides with it, and it really does an excellent job. For medium format I typically scan at 2400 dpi (indicated) and the scans hold together very well, even at 100% magnification.<br>

I've seen 3170s on Craigslist and eBay for as little as $40. Just make sure it includes the film holders.</p>