D90 techniques

johannes_sigl_r

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=4966557">Johannes Siglär</a><br>

Good Morning. One of the easiest ways to gain some info is by using YouTube. If you search for Nikon D90 Tutorials you will find many videos to help you get started. This along with the other places people will tell you about should get you up and shooting real fast.<br>

Happy shooting with your D90, I love mine and I have my Nikon 50mm 1.8 on most of the time.<br>

phil b<br>

benton, ky</p>

<p>Ken Rockwell's site has some basic but decent instruction on this camera, with a couple true gems hidden in his user guide. It's either free or $5, depending on your conscience. </p>

<p>The key for me has been setting up My Menu in an efficient way. In fact, I wish the UI were completely modular, and users could add/remove only those items they want PERIOD, then upload to the firmware.</p>

<p>It drives me crazy to no end having 'features' that I'll never use clutter things: in-camera editing, or slide-shows with music, or....</p>

<p>All that said, the best tip I've found is here on the forum in a thread about D300 autofocus. You can decouple AF from the shutter release by assigning it to the AE/AF-L button, turning that button into "AF-ON". I'm still getting used to it, and unfortuantely my thumb falls naturally on the Live View button, but it's getting better.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for your quick replies! :-)<br>

@Richard: I've read a lot of positive comments about Thom Hogan's guides. But delivery could take several weeks. Don't know if I can wait that long... :-(<br>

@Phil: Good idea!<br>

@Steve: Ken Rockwell's User's Guide is somewhat confusing. At least for me.<br>

@ Richard: I will check it out!<br>

Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>The point about the manual, is that Nikon manuals are pretty decent (IMO) of explaining what a function/feature is and why/how you would use it. <br>

Before I even put my battery in my D80 - I read the owners manual from front to back in one sitting while waiting for the battery to charge and the kids to go to bed. Within a week I had read it completely again.<br>

I also read Thom Hogan's guide to the D80 and Ken Rockwell's guide, plus re-read Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure that same week (glad I am a fast reader and quick at comprehending).</p>

<p>Hi Nancy, why do you think my response was non-responsive. 1) You tube is a public place. It is subjected to all kinds of personal bias, disinformation purely for entertainment. 2) Ken Rockwell's opinion is controversial at best. 3) Thom Hagan's opinion is not bad but it is still subjected to a person's bias. 3) Nikon wrote the D90 instruction manual so you know how to use the camera. <br>

There are two side to photography. 1) Technical side 2) artistic side.<br>

To learn the technical side one has simply to read the camera's very own manual to figure out what features are available. Then the next step is to go and practice taking pictures with the camera. The artistic side will have to come from within the artist/photographer his/herself.<br>

Just because my answer was short and succinct does not make it non-responsive. People expect too much hand holding in this world! Especially for free.</p>

<p>The manual that came with the camera is well-written and understandable, even for a novice. What I'm missing is the big picture - what is the best combination of settings for certain conditions, when not to use certain settings, or the like. (It goes without saying that this kind of information cannot be expected from a manual.)</p><p><br>

Is Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure (still) recommendable? I started reading Harold Davis' Light & Exposure for Digital Photographers but quickly gave up since it doesn't contain much of value. (And he brings up the exposure equattion Captured Light = Shutter Speed • Aperture • Sensitivity a little too often.)</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>other that thom hogans books which are good there is one that i got that really expands on the d90 manual...it is the magic lantern guide d90 written by simon stafford...did you know the d90 is capable of trap focusing...i didnt until i got this book...its really good</p>

• 2 weeks later...