More photos from my new DSLRs

pbizarro

<p>I have posted earlier that I have recently switched from the SLR to the DSLR world, and this post is just a follow up on that that previous one. I now have a 5DMKII "kit", to use with the same lenses that I had for the SLR (1V); I have also bought a 1000D "kit" to use on trips where I need to travel light, carrying it in a small shoulder bag.<br>

I have been using the 5DMKII in different settings (landscape, local markets, etc), just to try and assess if it behaves that much different from my long 1V experience. Overall, and for the kind of photography that I do, I do not see much difference in performance. I see a difference in the AF module, of course; the 1V AF is more "nervous", but the one in the 5DMKII is quite good, and it is also accurate. In low light markets, the non-central sensors on the 5DMKII have more difficulty in acquiring AF, possibly because they are not cross-type sensors. Truly speaking, that is the only thing that I kind of miss from the 1V, but it is something I can live and adapt to.<br>

The auto-iso works very well, and is something of a liberating experience, making the photographic experience a lot more enjoyable. I really do not care about a bit of noise at high ISO, other people think differently of course. My yardstick for comparison is Provia 400X slide film, so there you go. I remember when Provia 400 was released sometime back in 1999 or 2000, that it was evaluated has being a low grain high speed slide film, so that is why most of this discussion about high ISO noise in DSLRs to me it just seems puerile. Yes, we can only demand more and better, but the truth is, with todays DSLRs, we are already spoiled for choice and tools. LEts learn to use what we already have, before crying out for more. This is what I am trying to do with the 5DMKII.<br>

So, enough writing, here is the link to some photos taken with the 5DMKII in the Mutrah Souk, in Muscat:<br>

<a href="http://www.paulobizarro.com/tema.asp?id=35">http://www.paulobizarro.com/tema.asp?id=35</a><br>

Fianlly, a few words about the 1000D. It is actually a neat little camera, that I have already taken to the Empty Quarter desert. It coped very well with the sand, the heat, and road bumps. My first impression of the camera was that it looks kind of cheap, but once in my hands, it actually feels well put together and strong enough. The kit lens delivers good images, some of them you can see here:<br>

<a href="http://www.paulobizarro.com/tema.asp?id=28">http://www.paulobizarro.com/tema.asp?id=28</a><br>

Best regards to all.</p>

<p>Great work man. Good to see you are enjoying your new toy. Bet its nice to have same or probably better image quality, almost endless shots, no need to carry 3-5 different speeds of film. Just change ISO on the go. Noise no issue for you just coming from film recently. You really appreciate the upgrade for what it is. Sometimes I wish I had started with film for that reason. To get a real feel of whats new and better these days. I use a 1D3 and 70-200 f2.8L IS almost exclusively and catch myself nit picking the IQ sometimes when it really doesnt deserve it.</p>

<p>Very nice shots. I'm gonna spend some time looking around your website. Just keep doing what you are doing so you dont spend most of your time behind a computer instead of taking photos. Dont let your old ethic slip away and change because of your new way of capture.</p>

<p>I agree completely. Nitpicking is all well and good when you are trying to decide which system to go to, or if an upgrade is soon to be possible for you, but I suggest more people go make images and become happy with that process and improving their results, rather than improving the technicalities of the images, which are undoubtably strong enough in the vast majority of photographers today.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing your galleries, some very good images are included.</p>