sb800 mode : TTL or A ?

michael_k.1

<p>Hi,<br>

I usually use only the TTL mode (sb-800) during weddings. (I don't shoot with flash except on-camera sb-800)<br>

Last wedding, a photographer that was working with me told me he doesn't work with TTL at all. (he shoots with flashes)<br>

I did some tests but can not really understand the main difference.<br>

A mode seems to give better results in some situations but TTL seems more flexible.<br>

Is there a maximum ISO where A mode should/should not be used ?<br>

Does it give bets results only at 5.6/35mm head ?<br>

Is TTL the wedding favorite for shooters with only on-camera flash ?<br>

Nikon manual is one thing.... your experience is surely more...<br>

Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Mike</p>

<p>By A mode, I assume you mean auto thyristor? If so, you should first understand how it works, in comparison to TTL (actually i-TTL). A mode uses an on flash sensor for flash metering, whereas i-TTL uses a pre-flash. Being the case, A mode is not integrated into the camera's metering system at all--for instance, i-TTL can work with aperture or shutter priority, balancing with the ambient light (according to its programming). A mode will not balance with the ambient at all.</p>

<p>Because of this, some people find A mode easier to predict, just because it is a much simpler method. It has its share of pitfalls, though, because the sensor on the flash can be fooled by such things as its own limitation in angle of coverage, bright outdoor light, and like i-TTL, subject value and backlighting.</p>

<p>Whether or not A mode is less flexible depends on what you mean by 'flexible'. It is not limited to f5.6/35mm head, though. One thing (at least on the Canon side) is that A mode does not usually ramp down as low as ETTL/i-TTL, for those times you really want only a hint of flash.</p>

<p>I would guess that most Nikon wedding shooters use i-TTL, as do most Canon shooters use ETTL II. There was a time when some Canon shooters used auto thyristor because it was more consistent than ETTL. It might still be, since I am one of those that uses auto thyristor much of the time, but really, flash exposure consistency is basically in the person using the camera/flash.</p>

<p>Check out shootsmarter.com they tested a lot on exposure reliability and TTL (depends on flash, camera body, lens combination as well as ISO and different scenarios). Basically they recommend Auto mode for reliable fill flash outside and TTL for the rest except for some situations where using manual is best.</p>

<p>I think most Canon shooters will not be auto users because Canon lacked that mode for years on their speedlights (but the newest 580EX II has it).</p>

<p>The SB800 also has an AA mode which is also an option.</p>

<p>But if you're happy about the exposures you get why change?</p>

<p>At a recent wedding I was using a camera with an EX550 and found it somewhat frustrating. <br>

I switched to a Vivitar 285 (ISO 400 in yellow mode), set the camera on 800, and got better results changing the aperture to get the histograms where I wanted them. The downside of a 285 is that the head doesn't turn, which limits you to top bounce.<br>

I think my SB600 on TTL is pretty accurate. <br>

Any system can be fooled by bright objects in the frame.</p>

<p>Thanks for your advices.<br>

but well.... I still need to make some more test te be sure. In your second paragraph, Nadine, you seems to point out well the situation, saying ... "easier to predict"<br>

last 2 weddings I went again on TTL and seems to work for me in most case... so ... I will adopt it I think<br>

bye for now<br>

Mike</p>