Picking a wide angle lens

dustin_hatcher

<p>My wife and I shoot weddings using Canon equipment and we've always had to rent a wide angle lenses as we just put our money towards other lenses first (seems its easier to get a hold of something wide angle than a longer zoom if you need to rent one which is why we did it that way). We are currently setup with:<br>

2x Canon 30D's<br>

Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 (not stellar in AF, but acceptable as long as there is some light and great images!)<br>

Canon 85 F/1.8 (my fav prime)<br>

Canon 50 F/1.8<br>

Lens Baby 2.0 (wife loves doing artsy detail shots with this and is salivating over their newer version now)<br>

Extension tube for making macro shots (will continue to use this until we can pickup a Canon 50mm F/2.5)<br>

2x Canon 540EZ's<br>

(got these because I initially shyed away from TTL after bad experiences with a Nikon SB-600, but recently tagged along with another photographer who was using 580EX II in TTL and it worked great, so we will also likely be picking up a couple of 580EX II's now)</p>

<p>So now we have to decided its time to finally purchase a suitable wide angle. I've got my choices narrowed down to<br>

Canon 17-35MM F/2.8 (would prefer this of the 3, but suitable used ones are a touch difficult to find)<br>

Canon 17-40MM F/4 (Actually love the quality of photos I got from this lens when I rented it once, but the F/4 throws me a little bit because I tend to like to shoot wide open a lot and get soft backgrounds)<br>

Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 (we rent this lens all the time and enjoy the quality of photos we get from it, but are deterred because eventually we want to upgrade to FF so the other 2 lens choices make better sense for that).<br>

What would you guys recommend of the 3 (and please feel free to make suggestions for other equipment you feel would be good additions to our setup. We tend to shoot zooms for ceremonies etc and primes for details and some portrait stuff).<br>

Thank you All!</p>

<p>Hi Nadine,<br>

Thanks for the suggestion. One thing, I have been perusing eBay for nicely used 17-35 and 17-40 lenses and believe I'll be able to get one in the $500-$600 range which is only about $100-$200 more depending. Would that change your mind at all or eh, eff it and get the Tamron for now still? :)</p>

<p>No, because of the wider focal range and wider aperture in the case of the 17-40. I used a 16-35mm lens on my 20D when I first got it, and while I have no problem changing lenses, It is nice to have what amounts to about 26-80mm or so in one wide aperture zoom. Tamron 17-50 lenses also hold their value well. Plus I bought my 17-50mm Tamron for about $300 (I forget the exact amount). It was mint.</p>

<p>Yes definitely agree with above Nadine et al. Get the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 at B&H for $394 w/free shipping. Very cost effective and the most focal length lens for events and weddings. Don't buy for an uncertain future buy what you need and use right now and the future will take care of itself when it gets here. JMNHO!</p>

<p>Hi Dustin,<br>

They are all good lenses - you have to start first of what your wallet can afford. I had the 30D and decided upon a Tokina 12-24mm f:4. The price was right - in the $400's and I liked the 12mm which with the 1.6x factor still gave me a focal length of 19mm - so it was a wide lens. I like the fixed f:4 and have been impressed that it does do a good job with out of focus backgrounds. I would have preferred it if it were available in a 2.8 but I am able to bump up my camera's ISO and considering everything - felt it was a good value.</p>

<p>Hi Gil & Swede, thanks for the responses. I'm definitely searching sites now for the best deal on a Tamron 17-50 (probably try to get a used one off eBay to save even more money and get some decent used 580EX II's as well :) ).<br>

For ultra-wide I'm heavily considering the Canon 10-22MM.</p>

<p>With your cameras and present lenses I would put the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 II at the top of my list. It provides a FF equivalent to a 26-56mm lens on your 30D and will work great when you get a FF DSLR.<br>

The 17-40mm f4 is a great lens but at f4 it is really too slow, especially with 30D cameras that realistically max out at ISO 1600.<br>

I would also suggest getting the Canon 24mm f1.4 which provides a 35mm f1.4 equivalent on your 30D and will work great as a ultra wide angle on a FF camera. An alternative is to get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 lens which is very fast to AF and very sharp and of course a f1.4 lens - great for reception coverage. On your 30D it is a "normal perspective" lens and will allow for photographing small groups in tight quarters and low light. Yes it will not work on a FF camera but it gives you a lot more options for the coming wedding season and will be easy to sell later as a used lens should you decide to do so.</p>

<p> </p>